Potential 18K purchase...who made it?

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I might be able to score an 18K(if real) necklace and pendant, but I can't read and don't recognize the maker. Can any of you guys read this?

image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No clue? THAMO :dontknow:. Is it marked 18K or .750 ?? Any info on the chain ?? Looks gold, but not that rich color of 18K IMO, but that's only by what I see in a picture on a computer screen. If it's less then 10 bucks just risk it.

Last edited:

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see any purity hallmarks. Do you have an acid kit or Mizar unit to test it? Check with strong magnet? How much were they asking? If you tested this well It's worth buying at the right price, if you don't have the stuff to test it properly you can lose your money. It might be worth a good bit or it may be something sold on the cruise docks in Mexico and be worthless.

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a stamp on the snap closure of the lobster claw? It does look like gold in the pictures but that means nothing. Check the rings on the closures also for tiny little stamps.

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info folks! It IS marked 18K on the clasp of the necklace, but I have not bought an acid test kit yet. I don't remember if it was marked on the pendant although I'm sure it was marked which got me interested enough to come back later with my scale. It's part of a jewelry auction that the GW has every week. Bids are pretty low and it's part of a lot that's 90% costume jewelry. I think the name is not THAMO, but THAM, but neither of those mean anything to me. I'll put in a bid that won't cost me much if it's fake. I need to get a test kit soon as possible, so I can stop taking risks!

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to intelligently gamble a bit on gold so I don't suggest you do this if you would be hurting if you lost your money...Without seeing the other marks and after looking at the pics I would bid to 50% scrap value on the gold and no more. That bid would be at the last moment if the bidding didn't go higher already. Good luck!

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I like to intelligently gamble a bit on gold so I don't suggest you do this if you would be hurting if you lost your money...Without seeing the other marks and after looking at the pics I would bid to 50% scrap value on the gold and no more. That bid would be at the last moment if the bidding didn't go higher already. Good luck!

This^^! That was my plan. Unfortunately unexpected Saturday road construction caused me and several others to be exactly 2 minutes late for bidding on this gold lot. The resident jewelry expert was there paying for his auction win. He got it for less than $50 because there were only 4-5 people at the auction! It was confirmed another latecomer(who came specifically for that piece of jewelry) that the piece was legitimate but he buys at half of gold value and planned to bid up to a max of $180.00. The expert didn't want any other lots, so I did get a large "grab bag" jar of jewelry for a written bid of $80. So far, I at least have enough gold to get my $80 back and more. Thanks for the help guys.

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Whelp!!! That jar turned out to be the much better deal! Pulled over 55 grams of 14k from that $80 jar! One necklace is 49 grams. I posted pics on another thread(forgot about this one) under Mall Jewelry Store Said It was Goldplated. Thanks again. Treasurenet has been so helpful and valuable in my learning!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread