Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garage sale find today . I picked up the matchbox case , it was heavy , I didn't even look inside it . I offered $5.00 , they said sure . Then I found the vinyl kids purse & saw it was filled with tootsie toy cars - paid $4.00 . There are several Redline hot wheels , 60.s & 70's matchbox cars and the carry case is in nice shape too .

Attachments

• car load 001.jpg
    car load 001.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 194
  • car load 003.jpg
    car load 003.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 194

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know much about Hot Wheels or Match box cars but I know that the 2 VW camper buses will probably make you a profit on the whole lot of them.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good score, can't go wrong there! I just sold all of my hot wheels (only 1 somewhat common redline & was missing a wheel), matchbox, johnny lightning & various other makes of small cars (about 50 total & most were pure junk) along with 2 older (early to mid 70's) hotwheels cases for $40 without even having to list them. He bought them all because he wanted one of the cases real bad & he figured he could sell everything else & get that case for free. I put the whole lot together for free & I highly doubt I would have gotten $50 on eBay for the lot (at least as a lot) & that's about what I would have needed to get to match the $40 I got from him. The guy is a local collector that I know. I did keep 3 1971 unopened NOS packs of 8 Tootsie Toy cars, it will take at least $15 minimum for each pack of 8 cars for me to even think of selling them. They were only $0.97 per pack when new in 71.

Last edited:

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me & my auction partner sold this one almost a month ago & we were actually disappointed in what it brought as it could have brought double that on the right week. We only had a couple bucks at most in it because we got it in a pallet of stuff. Our highest dollar single Redline car sale to date is $450 & we thought this one might break that record but it didn't.
Picture 14.png

Last edited:

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I remember having that van with flames on it. Sure wish I still had all that. My brohter and I had all of our gijoes. star wars and hot wheels from when we were kids boxed up in the attic of our dads house. He rented the house to his girlfriend and when they broke up she stole it all. I still cringe thinking of all that was in there. mojjax- I really like that matchbox case. Id have paid $5 for it if it was empty. Great pick up!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I remember having that van with flames on it. Sure wish I still had all that. My brohter and I had all of our gijoes. star wars and hot wheels from when we were kids boxed up in the attic of our dads house. He rented the house to his girlfriend and when they broke up she stole it all. I still cringe thinking of all that was in there. mojjax- I really like that matchbox case. Id have paid $5 for it if it was empty. Great pick up!
My mom either threw out or gave all our stuff away to the thrift store years ago. I still remind her of it on occasion.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mom either threw out or gave all our stuff away to the thrift store years ago. I still remind her of it on occasion.

I had a few cases of the Matchbox cars. I always preferred them over Hot Wheels because I always smoked my friend's Hotwheels in drag races.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never find any old Matchbox, Lesney or Redlines at garage sales or estate sales down here for some reason. Always the newer garbage. I do have some old original orange track though.

Punatic

Feb 25, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Other
Score!

The beat up green beach bomb (VW bus) will get you your money back and then some. Would love to see any other pics of he hotwheels and I can help with value. I've really gotten into these in the last couple months, and actually have a green beach bomb listed on eBay out of a lot I picked up of Craigslist. Listed it today and I got my minimum bid in less than an hour!

If you want to sell them privately I may be interested? Would need to see them closer to give you a better idea. I am less knowledgeable on matchbox but might be able to help.

Good score!!

Attachments

• image-3485480021.jpg
    image-3485480021.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 122

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Wow. Nice picks!

The blue carrying case sure brings back the memories. I had one that was very similar. I still had all the cars that I had when I was a kid, up until a few years ago, when someone broke into an office where I had them stored, and decided to steal them, and several other items I still had from my youth, including a high end train set that I had been given.

I rarely see vintage car stuff out in the wild. Hard to imagine that someone would sell that stuff for a song...but I am happy that you found it!

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what is the rule on these? Not all redlines go good right? What should I look for?

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what is the rule on these? Not all redlines go good right? What should I look for?

Same as with most things, rarity & condition is everything. If you have no idea which colors or models are rare then it will be a battle to learn that in a short period of time. When you buy them in lots like mojjax did you just can't go wrong. And no not all redlines bring good money some aren't really worth squat. So if you have time look at the sold auctions on eBay & get a feel for what brings what but beware there are some cars that are very similar to one another & one might be worth $200 & the other one is only worth $5-$10.

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a redline and another older hot wheels car for $1.50 for the pair. They are rough. I figured I would see what you guys thought. I didn't get them yet, let me know what you think. The silver car is the redline.

0812141149.jpg 0812141149a.jpg

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine or the OP's? I'm sure it wasn't the ones I put the picture of. I didn't get them yet. Should I go back and get them guys?

Punatic

Feb 25, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Other
Pic is not very clear but for 1.50 you can't go wrong. Looks like a chrome car of some sort which makes it a later redline. If anything put it away until you find more and start a lot to sell!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread