Siver dollar value?

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
From a friend:

I have a modest amount of coins from my father's collection, and I was wondering if you could research and discover, and facilitate the sale of a few of them.

I have 3 silver dollars from 1922,1924,and 1928, and I don't know if they are valuable, and if there is a market for them.

Are they worth anything? Not scrap value, but collectors value.

hunts with son

Sep 10, 2013
Monroe County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
From a friend: I have a modest amount of coins from my father's collection, and I was wondering if you could research and discover, and facilitate the sale of a few of them. I have 3 silver dollars from 1922,1924,and 1928, and I don't know if they are valuable, and if there is a market for them. Are they worth anything? Not scrap value, but collectors value.

The 22 and 24 look to be going for around $23-26 in average condition. The 28 around $35 or so in common condition. This is from eBay sold listings. Of course condition means everything! The better the condition and the higher the grade, the more they are worth.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're 1928 has no meant Mark it's about $300-$350. If it has an S and I believe a D but I'm not looking at the book you're about $35. The 28 p is worth the most. If you add pictures of them we will tell you but the minute mark would be on the back by the eagles tail feather. Left facing.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks. I thought that they were worth more. She would be better off not selling them, right?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're 1928 has no meant Mark it's about $300-$350. If it has an S and I believe a D but I'm not looking at the book you're about $35. The 28 p is worth the most. If you add pictures of them we will tell you but the minute mark would be on the back by the eagles tail feather. Left facing.

Mint mark, thanks auto correct!!

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Beachkid said, You will need to find out what the mint mark is peace_dollar_mintmark_lg.jpg

Pics would help too

Jayers

Jun 28, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Just starting out with a BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
23-25 is a good price considering they only have .702 ozt of puts silver in them. So yes, they are worth more than melt...all silver dollars are except for slicks where you can't read the date. They command a premium over melt and getting someone to pay that is good for the seller. Pros will want to only pay 15-20.

As for should she sell, depends on what she wants or needs. If she was looking to get rich, these three coins aren't going to do it. They won't likely appreciate in vAlue unless the price of silver goes up. But they do hold their value really well, and have not gone down. If she needs or wants a bit of cash for something, these would be a good reliable source .

Thanks. I thought that they were worth more. She would be better off not selling them, right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread