Got ma a new cell phone at a garage sale.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got me a new cell phone at a garage sale.

Bought me a cell phone that has never been used this last Saturday. Even came with a "man bag" Of course it is a cell so i only paid 50¢ The lady I bought it from said she never even registered it. Runs off a cigarette lighter plug cause no battery. Batteries were an option. I plugged it into my can and it powered right up. Dialed my home phone and then got a message "no service" This in an analog phone and of course everything now is digital.

I thought at the time there was a battery in the phone so I left it plugged into my car for two hours and no charge. I pulled the phone out of the case and the bottom of the phone is a solid aluminum base. It was too hot to touch. Glad I didn't forget about it or I probably would be looking for a new car this week.

This in not my phone but I will be listing it in ebay pretty soon. A few sold for around $25

Attachments

• 277157.jpg
    277157.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

topdogintampa

Apr 19, 2014
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Teknetics Gamma 6000, Treasure Com TC3X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Close call and glad your not car shopping! Maybe the aluminum is a large heat sink?....

"The 80's called...they want their phone back!" :laughing7:

T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
A couple of years ago, I picked up a box of miscellaneous electronic gear for about $10. There were a few of those "bag phones" in the box. I bought the box because of the phones and because I had sold one of those old Motorola "brick" phones just a couple of months before for $50 (paid $2 for it). I was very disappointed when I couldn't sell a single one of the bag phones. Hope you have better luck than I did.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They sell as a Gag gifts especially around Christmas.

Ugly sweaters make good gag gifts too

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
My grandfather had one of those phones! Not exactly like that, but I remember it being in the car and that sucker was HUGE!

Cool find though.

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
I heard a story years ago they were going for big money because they still worked and worked well. Basically you could walk out into the middle of a desert and get a signal. The phone companies caught wind and shut them down and the price plummeted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread