Sorry, but I had to laugh

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I normally don't do this, but there was this woman at a yard sale today with a bunch of junk. I saw a cell phone, it was just an old junk motorolla, nothing special. I asked her what she wanted and she said $1. I offered her a quarter for e scrap. She turned it down and said her son normally sales them online. I said yeah, but you only make 50 cents or $1 on them. She said her son normally gets anywhere from $20-$50 for one like that. Sorry, but I laughed out loud at that one. :laughing7:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
she will still have it at her next yard sale, when she does, offer her a dime.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, it wasn't even a flip phone. I've got some like it in my scrap pile. I went to an auction and thought I may as well stop at it on my way back. Shouldn't have wasted my time. :laughing7:

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You shoulda said, sorry u dont have a good relationship with your son, does he know your only selling these for a $1?

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a guy bring so me coins out of his house. There were 3 peace dollars and 4 quarters. I offered him what I normally pay, 16 each for the dollars, and 3 bucks a piece on the quarters. A little low, but a fair price nonetheless. He laughed out me, literally in my face, called me a scamming *****, and told me to leave. He said the peace dollars were worth 50-60+ each, and the quarters 15+ each. I then laughed out loud at him, and said, I have a couple hundred of these at my house, how about I bring them over, and you can buy them for 30/6 each, and double your money!, He told me to get off his property... Some people... Do they not understand I'm in this business and have been doing it for years, similarly to you and your scraping? I even showed him my business card and everything lol. Oh well, next house I spent 200 on some coins and silver, sold it all for close to 500. Can't win them all, but as long as you win a few..

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always wonder how people come up with their prices, when I run across people like you are describing, I have actually pointed at them and laughed and asked if they were drunk! Good luck!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
The nerve of these people... Not selling you their personal possessions for "your price" so you can then turn a profit on them. How dare they!

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Lol! This thread almost made me pee my pants! Lol!

sent from a potato...

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a guy bring so me coins out of his house. There were 3 peace dollars and 4 quarters. I offered him what I normally pay, 16 each for the dollars, and 3 bucks a piece on the quarters. A little low, but a fair price nonetheless. He laughed out me, literally in my face, called me a scamming *****, and told me to leave. He said the peace dollars were worth 50-60+ each, and the quarters 15+ each. I then laughed out loud at him, and said, I have a couple hundred of these at my house, how about I bring them over, and you can buy them for 30/6 each, and double your money!, He told me to get off his property... Some people... Do they not understand I'm in this business and have been doing it for years, similarly to you and your scraping? I even showed him my business card and everything lol. Oh well, next house I spent 200 on some coins and silver, sold it all for close to 500. Can't win them all, but as long as you win a few..

He probably looked up a 1932 s or something, but even then it would be worth more. :laughing7:

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The nerve of these people... Not selling you their personal possessions for "your price" for so you can then turn a profit on them. How dare they!

Well, considering I would have made a total of 50-75 cents on it...:laughing7:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yeah, it is pretty funny. Keep the stories coming guys. DieselRam, have you had a story like this?
Not quite like this. I have run into many people who are unrealistic about what something is worth. But usually but not always a comment to the seller about how great it is to get rid of things to make space, followed up by asking how much traffic they are having/ had often times will soften them up some. Other times if I feel they may be unrealistic about prices BG listening to their interactions with other buyers, I'll get my son to do the negotiations. People tend to sell cheap to a yen year old...of course this is item dependent.

sent from a potato...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread