It’s all about the optics

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Well… it’s MOSTLY about the optics. I hit an estate sale this weekend. I went there mostly because of a Kitchenaid mixer. Turns out they wanted full retail ($180) for that so I passed on it. However, I picked up some other items that I think I will do well on. To wit:

DSC04873.JPG
A 35mm Minolta camera (body not working) with two lenses in very good condition. The lenses should bring about $60.

DSC04876.JPG
A Weston light meter in working condition. I haven’t checked into the value of these because this is destined for my daughter’s supply of photo gear.

DSC04883.JPG DSC04884.JPG
A Minolta Weathermatic 35mm camera with case in like new condition. Should bring around $30.

DSC04887.JPG DSC04888.JPG DSC04889.JPG
A Canon Model 814 Super 8 movie camera with manual and a nice leather case. I need to get some batteries in it to verify that it works but, if it does, it should bring somewhere around $200 and $300.

DSC04897.JPG DSC04898.JPG DSC04892.JPG DSC04893.JPG DSC04895.JPG
AND… What should be the big winner, a Meade Model ETX-90EC telescope with a BUNCH of accessories. I’m still checking it out to be sure everything works properly but, assuming everything is ship shape, the scope alone should bring around $250.

DSC04881.JPG
The accessories include a tripod, a hard shell case, several different types of eye pieces, and an item called an “Autostar” which allows the user to have the scope automatically locate a large variety of celestial objects. I need to decide if I want to include all the accessories with the scope or sell the accessories separately. My instinct is to sell the accessories separately. The Autostar alone will probably sell for around $90. I haven’t priced the other items yet.

I said it was “mostly” about the optics because I also picked up a couple of other non-optical items. These included:

DSC04879.JPG
A pair of official badges. The sheriff badge is a disappointment. I thought the gold section was part of the design. Turns out the enamel has fallen out of that section. The firefighter’s badge should bring $30 - $50. The sheriff’s badge probably would have been about the same but the missing enamel will likely kill the value. I’m thinking I will be lucky to get 10 bucks for it.
I paid $150 for all of the above items.

DSC04886.JPG
On the way out of the sale I went through the garage and noticed this floor jack. The guy wanted $75 for it. I offered him $50 but he declined. When I got home, I started looking at the telescope in detail and, late in the afternoon, discovered the 12 volt power cord was missing. Fortunately, the sale was within a couple of miles of my house, so I went back to see if I could find it. After a good bit of searching, I did find it. On the way out, I said my offer of $50 for the floor jack still stands. This time, he accepted. This is a Craftsman motorcycle lift in very good condition (needs a little cleanup). Sears sells this new for $161. I will put it on Craigslist and probably get $80 - $100 for it.

So, all told, I think I have at least $700 worth of stuff here and maybe considerably more depending on what the telescope accessories are worth. Not bad for a $200 investment.

wotdlois

Aug 12, 2014
NJ
Primary Interest:
Other
Well at least i know the canon super 8 is worth something. I picked up a capro and had to practically give it away. Cool stuff. I am learning quickly what lenses are worth something and others that are totally worthless unless picked up for 25c.

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
That Canon is the first movie camera I ever purchased and I only bought that after checking sales prices on ebay (iPhone to the rescue!). I see Kodak movie cameras (like the Brownie) pretty often but they aren't worth anything. With the 35mm cameras the value is mostly in the lenses and the brand is critical. The better quality Japanese (Nikon, Canon) usually do very well and I find those fairly often. Minolta and Pentax are mid-range brands so their products don't command as high a price as the Nikons and Canons but still worth buying if the price is right. Good quality European cameras and lenses (such as Leica) also do well but those are pretty rare.

When you come across an old camera and lenses make sure you know what you are getting. I have been burned in the past when I bought, for example, a Nikon body with a small, basic Nikon (or Nikkormat) lens. There were a couple of other longer lenses in the case which I assumed were also Nikon lenses. Turns out they were Bushnell lenses with Nikon mounts. I sold the Nikon lens for $50 but couldn't GIVE the damn Bushnell lenses away. Of course, as with almost everything, condition is critical. Make sure the glass is not scratched up or foggy from interior mold growth.

By the way, this same estate sale had an Olympus camera with two lenses but they wanted $75 bucks for it. The Olympus stuff isn't worth much but they thought this was the big ticket item while they practically gave away the more valuable stuff (they only wanted $20 for the Canon movie camera for example). Weird...

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
So yesterday was the last day of this estate sale. I didn't think there would be anything worthwhile left but since it was on my way home from work I decided to drop by and take one last look around. I bought these two things:

DSC04939.JPG DSC04947.JPG
I noticed this Canon projector when I bought the other camera stuff but, for some inexplicable reason, decided to pass on it. It's in great shape and everything except the projector bulb works just fine. The piece is complete including the removable hard shell cover, a dust cover, and the manual. Hard to get a feel for the value of this projector as there are only a couple of this model that have been listed recently on ebay. I think it should bring at least $50 but I may start it out considerably higher and see how it goes.

DSC04925.JPG DSC04927.JPG
I found this at the bottom of a box of miscellaneous junk. It is a set of about a dozen slides for a Magic Lantern projector. I'm guessing these date back to the early 1900s. They are in the original box but the box is coming apart. I don't think these have any great value as there seem to be a fairly large number of these on ebay.

I paid $10 for the Canon projector, the slides, and a large box full of candles that my wife wanted for herself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread