Model Trains and Refineries

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had some questions and this seems like the right Tnet forum.

First off, my family is trying to figure out what to do with a large HO train collection of my father's (he has moved out of his house into an apartment and has no room for his trains now). We'll give some to a neighbor who shares the hobby, but not sure how to best dispose of the rest. I know it's a dying hobby. The collection is pretty large and includes items going back as far as the 30's and 40's. A local train shop said they would pay 20 or 30 cents on the dollar, but they said the best thing might be to pay them to do an appraisal and then donate the trains somewhere, using the (high) appraisal figure for the tax deduction. There's always ebay, but the idea of photographing and listing each item seems daunting and will take far more time than anyone in the family has. Any other ideas for selling HO trains and getting a decent price? I was at one estate sale that sold out of all the HO trains at estate sale prices, so maybe that's the best route.

Second, totally unrelated question: I am looking for recommendations for gold and silver refineries that will deal with the general public. There don't seem to be any near me (in the DC area), so I am probably looking at a mail-away place. Lots of jewelry stores buy scrap around here but about 75% of the gold value is the best purchase price I've found. Was hoping to do better.

Thanks in advance.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you can find a local auction house you can get a good rate (even better if there is a bidding war) and pay maybe 20%. That way they do all the work and putting it into lots photos, ect and you don't have to pay anything up front.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I would dispute the notion that model railroading is a "dying hobby". I'm no expert on trains but I have picked up a fair amount of model train stuff at yard sales and estate sales. I have NEVER had trouble selling any of it. If you have trains that date back to the 30s, some of those may be exceptionally valuable. I would encourage you to check into the eBay sale price for the engines especially. Note that I said "sale" price which must not be confused with what somebody is asking for their item. I just did a quick search for HO scale engines on eBay and found a bunch of them that sold for over $100 each.

Generally speaking, engines command a much higher price than other types of cars. Also, if you can, find out which engines work. A working engine will bring a much higher price than a non-working one. You might also want to consider putting together groups of cars or engines and selling them as a lot on eBay.

I know there are a couple of train experts here on TNet. Hopefully one of them will stop by shortly and offer some more detailed advice. Good luck!

Last edited:

monita.secreta

Jul 18, 2014
Tarragona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark / Fisher CZ-21 Quicksilver
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I would dispute the notion that model railroading is a "dying hobby". I'm no expert on trains but I have picked up a fair amount of model train stuff at yard sales and estate sales. I have NEVER had trouble selling any of it. If you have trains that date back to the 30s, some of those may be exceptionally valuable. I would encourage you to check into the eBay sale price for the engines especially. Note that I said "sale" price which must not be confused with what somebody is asking for their item. I just did a quick search for HO scale engines on eBay and found a bunch of them that sold for over $100 each.

Generally speaking, engines command a much higher price than other types of cars. Also, if you can, find out which engines work. A working engine will bring a much higher price than a non-working one. You might also want to consider putting together groups of cars or engines and selling them as a lot on eBay.

I know there are a couple of train experts here on TNet. Hopefully one of them will stop by shortly and offer some more detailed advice. Good luck!

Put an ad in Model Railroader

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't mind traveling a bit. Ill pm you my buyer at 91% for gold. Should be around 1-2 hours for you depending on your position in DC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayers

Jun 28, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Just starting out with a BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion based upon my knowledge of the hobby (which is mostly limited to HO), experience with estate sales, and ebay is this:

Cherry pick the collection for the very best: any locomotive or car made out of brass, Any steam locos that are old and/or made of metal, anything by Athearn, Pacific Fast Mail, better Atlas, best Bachmann,-absolutletly nothing by Tyco. Research those pieces in ebay and put them up at either buy it now or high starting auctions. There's not a lot of buyers so you'll have few bidding wars, but most of what just mentioned should sell . Also any unmade kits by Athearn, model power, mdc,, Walters should go on the bay too.

A widely advertised estate sale is where you'll sell the rest . Get on estate.net and pay for a regionally advertised estate sale, tKe lots of pictures, run it from Thursday through Sunday and you should move the rest of it. Anything left on Sunday accept offers.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
What state are you located in?

You've received some good advice so far.

The toy train hobby is alive and well, even though I'd love to see more kids at the train shows.

I'd be pretty leery about the train shop with their 20%-30% offer. Who's dollar are they referring to, anyway? The wholesale prices, the train show prices, ebay prices, book prices, or full retail prices? I've seen that game before, and let me tell ya, I was born at night, but not last night.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I got your PM, CC.

After thinking about this for a while, the best option is probably to find a good LOCAL train meet, set up a table, and sell from there. A table should run $10 to $30, again, at a LOCAL show.

How much stuff do you have? A few boxes, or a garage full of stuff?

If I were closer, I'd come and make a decent offer on the whole thing.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Clovis97, I sent you a PM...

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a "picker" I've always been led to believe you strive to buy things at 1/3 of what you think would sell for. Why do we bust a retailer up for trying to do the same thing? A mans gotta make a living. I don't know that I'd sell to a retailer at 20 cents on the dollar but I know I'm willing to do the legwork to get as much as I can out of everything I buy for resale.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
As a "picker" I've always been led to believe you strive to buy things at 1/3 of what you think would sell for. Why do we bust a retailer up for trying to do the same thing? A mans gotta make a living. I don't know that I'd sell to a retailer at 20 cents on the dollar but I know I'm willing to do the legwork to get as much as I can out of everything I buy for resale.

I am just trying to help a fellow Tnet guy the best money for his trains.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread