Scored at the church rumage sale

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a rat cage starter kit still in the box for $1.00 and already resold it for $15. Then I bought a Howard Miller mantle clock for $2.00. It had a note on it saying "Doesn't work-no key". I thought, what the heck, I'll get it anyway. While I was paying for it a lady walked over and stated that she had donated the clock and she had 2 keys at her house. She said she has taken it to a clock guy to get it fixed but every year or so she had to take it back. Long story short, I got the keys, wound it up and set it according to the instructions. You have to move the hands in REVERSE to set it properly. Now it runs and chimes on the quarter hour, half hour and on the hour. Runs a little slow but I can adjust that, just haven't had time. (no pun intended) :) I've seen it retail for well over $300 and this one is in beautiful condition.

Attachments

• clock6.jpg
    clock6.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 99
OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, the instructions were in the back of the clock. I'm gonna try to flip it for about $140 but I don't want to ship it anywhere. There are special precautions to take in shipping that I don't want to deal with.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pick. I'd have bought it even if didn't work for that price.

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah gib, there was/is one on ebay they were selling for parts plus shipping. They already had about 6 bids up to about $30. Heck, $30 would be 15 times my investment and I wouldn't have to worry much about how it was packaged. :)

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few different clocks similar to yours that I picked up in non working condition. Almost all of them told me it was "over-wound". Found out that is almost never the true problem. Each one I bought started working again after I took out the movement, sprayed it down with brake or carb cleaner and sometimes used a pair of grips to jar the main gear. Nice buy getting one that fires right up!

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, include "bracket" in listing your clock. Hopefully that will add some views.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few different clocks similar to yours that I picked up in non working condition. Almost all of them told me it was "over-wound". Found out that is almost never the true problem. Each one I bought started working again after I took out the movement, sprayed it down with brake or carb cleaner and sometimes used a pair of grips to jar the main gear. Nice buy getting one that fires right up!

I have actually had quite a few that were over wound. That spring can be quite dangerous.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread