H Disston & Sons saw. Something odd about this one. Anyone? Anyone?

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• 100_7835.JPG
    100_7835.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 343
  • 100_7836.JPG
    100_7836.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 290

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never seen one like that.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
There is a name for that...I simply can't recall what it is right now.

Nonetheless, there is quite a bit if controversy about the cut out tab on the spine of the blade. Some say it was originally for marking or scribing where your cut was supposed to start. Others say that it was a short lived novelty to a saw, but the manufacturers kept making it because they were afraid of losing their customers.

Anyway, there is a VERY cool website called Disstonianinstitute.com. Will help you date your hand saw:

Disstonian Institute.com -- Online Reference of Disston Saws

OP
OP
frankendime

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks clovis97! That link was helpful indeed. Found that my saw was made 1896-1917 and the nib as they call it was merely decorative???

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
If your saw dates to that era, that is referred to as Disston's "Golden Age." I don't know the old saw market, but collectors and woodworkers were paying a premium for Disston saws from those years.

You are right...some say that the nib was just a decorative thing, while others insist that the nib was used as a way to scribe a mark where you wanted to cut. Some say that it was to clean out the kerf as they were sawing. I read an article, years ago, and IIRC, one of the saw manufacturers started adding the nib to their saws, and everyone else copied the pattern, and made it for years, afraid that they would lose customers if they stopped making it.

There are quite a few tutorials of how to properly clean up a saw so you can have a brighter blade and read the etching. I've tried it, using mineral spirits and super high grit sand papers of 600 and 1000. It is messy and hard work, but very rewarding, if you are into that kind of stuff.

I think your saw has an applewood handle.

Also, if you ever find a real junker saw, with a bent blade, or super severe condition issues, I have parted out the handle and also the screws and nuts with the medallion. I also found a Disston saw with a cratered handle that was missing over 3 inches of the grip, and sold the steel blade by itself.

The saws are hard to pack and ship. Collectors don't want the handle to be messed up, so find a tutorial on how to box and ship a hand saw.

fastrunnertx

Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought what I think is a Disston saw. It was purchased at the Habitat for Humanity Restore for $7.00. I thought it was very cool. I brought it home and started doing research. There are tons of etchings on the saw AND the initials "HAW" on the top of the handle and "JAW" in smaller letters on the front and back of the handle. I then read about the legend. The legend of Disston placing a saw on the ground etching the plans on a saw. Anyone's thoughts on this ?

Attachments

• DSCN3377.JPG
    DSCN3377.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 214
  • DSCN3378.JPG
    DSCN3378.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 162
  • DSCN3379.JPG
    DSCN3379.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 163
  • DSCN3380.JPG
    DSCN3380.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 176
  • DSCN3381.JPG
    DSCN3381.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 167
  • DSCN3382.JPG
    DSCN3382.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 164
  • DSCN3383.JPG
    DSCN3383.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 188
Last edited:

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a name for that...I simply can't recall what it is right now.

Nonetheless, there is quite a bit if controversy about the cut out tab on the spine of the blade. Some say it was originally for marking or scribing where your cut was supposed to start. Others say that it was a short lived novelty to a saw, but the manufacturers kept making it because they were afraid of losing their customers.

Anyway, there is a VERY cool website called Disstonianinstitute.com. Will help you date your hand saw:

Disstonian Institute.com -- Online Reference of Disston Saws

That's a great resource for Disston saws. I've read that the Nib on the end of the saw was where canvas blade covers tied to. To keep the saw cover from sliding off the end, the Nib was the stopping point since the other end of the canvas cover's tie strings went through the handle opening. When you see that Nib, you know the saw is old!

Bill

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought what I think is a Disston saw. It was purchased at the Habitat for Humanity Restore for $7.00. I thought it was very cool. I brought it home and started doing research. There are tons of etchings on the saw AND the initials "HAW" on the top of the handle and "JAW" in smaller letters on the front and back of the handle. I then read about the legend. The legend of Disston placing a saw on the ground etching the plans on a saw. Anyone's thoughts on this ?
The "D-8" legend goes: Henry Disston sketched his design on the factory floor to show his engineers what he had in mind. Disston has a history in central Florida. Besides being responsible for draining much of the Kissimmee river valley, did you know he once purchased 4 million acres of land in Osceola county for .25 an acre and didn't have to use a dime to do it? He was a major player in leading Florida into the 20th century. The huge largemouth bass is what originally attracted him to the area in the 1870's when he visited on fishing trips.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread