Whats It Going To Take To Have A Garage Sale Find Make The Banner?

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
If anyone cares, I'm with diggummup.

I get a bigger thrill out of a real auction score. Sure, digging is cool and all, but someone lost or discarded most of those items. It takes some skill to score at a garage sale, IMO. At the same time, I believe that there is quite a bit of skill in MD work too. Not everyone can find and dig where the Confederates camped in an area.

I haven't seen any real banner finds on the GS forum, but I haven't been on here as long as others. Sometimes though, when reading some of the other MD posts, people will start yelling "Banner!!!", and I am thinking to myself, I picked an old Pontiac carb at an auction yesterday for $1 that is worth for more than what some people are saying is a banner find, LOL.
Nice, I love the old car parts. My last good one was a NOS GM part I got at an estate sale. "What is it"? he said. "Oh it looks like an old car part/trim part but really don't know" I said. Paid $2 and unloaded it for $195 2 days later. BTW it was a NOS 1963 Cadillac headlight boomerang trim.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there was a recentish post here that I think would have been banner worthy somebody picked up a set of candle sticks that we're sterling silver English that dated in the 1700's or earlier
Yeah, those were nice! So maybe we could have a "Best of" sticky topic then like someone suggested (thunter?). Don't know how certain posts would be nominated though. I think the criteria should be the same as the banner though. Items must have a significant historical value as well as a monetary one. Just because something was a great deal doesn't make it special or worthy. For me, it's about the history of the object as well. Just as it is for detector finds. Actually, estate sale finds are much more personal (in a way) than anything dug out of the ground, if you think about it. Because you actually know where/who the item came from. With dug items, though it may have been a personal item that belonged to someone, you always (99.5% of the time) have that nagging question... I wonder who this belonged to? With no way to find out who. Being able to put a name to an object is a wonderful thing.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, those were nice! So maybe we could have a "Best of" sticky topic then like someone suggested (thunter?). Don't know how certain posts would be nominated though. I think the criteria should be the same as the banner though. Items must have a significant historical value as well as a monetary one. Just because something was a great deal doesn't make it special or worthy. For me, it's about the history of the object as well. Just as it is for detector finds. Actually, estate sale finds are much more personal (in a way) than anything dug out of the ground, if you think about it. Because you actually know where/who the item came from. With dug items, though it may have been a personal item that belonged to someone, you always (99.5% of the time) have that nagging question... I wonder who this belonged to? With no way to find out who. Being able to put a name to an object is a wonderful thing.

Do a find of the month you vote on so you have a top 12 for the year (top 3 for 2014 or get everyone to post their previous best over the past several months) .... and then vote for those 12 finds in Jan.to determine an over all winner.

Last edited:
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a find of the month you vote on so you have a top 12 for the year (top 3 for 2014 or get everyone to post their previous best over the past several months) .... and then vote for those 12 finds in Jan.to determine an over all winner.
I guess that's up to the administrators of this site. I don't see it happening though in any form, to be honest.
The winter months are pretty dead on the gs forum. Christ, it's dead now, look at it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread