Another place to pick

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
Anybody else do this? Mid-week no yard sales thrift stores not so good. Local auto scrapyard lets me drive around in an ocean of cars and pick. This is just some of the pieces I've gathered. 66 Barracuda rear window trim and Arrow Ford piece came off 62 Falcon cost me $10. Trim or script they charge me like $2 each. Your thoughts please...HH All!

Attachments

• 100_7861.JPG
    100_7861.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 100_7802.JPG
    100_7802.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 100_7858.JPG
    100_7858.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 104

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read somewhere people would go to wrecking yards and get the power window motors out of cars and sell them on the bay, so if you can make money doing it, right on! GoodLuck!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there's a will, there's a way. To make money that is. Good money in vintage parts. I've sold an emblem or two before when found at an estate sale. I don't pick junkyards mostly because I don't do auto stuff. But I have hunted a junk yard before and found assorted stuff in the interiors.
Here is an old thread of mine from 9 years ago or so before I knew how to type correctly with spaces, lol.-
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/4948-found-gold-silver-other-junk-without-md.html

OP
OP
frankendime

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
I generally look at this stuff as repurposing or man cave stuff. I make lamps out of old gas cans and old metal flashlights and such. I see the old barracuda trim as a door push. I do have some pretty good picking although the nameplates/script are mostly gone. Diggumup, I'm gonna start spending more time INSIDE the car since reading your post. I used to go to a scrapyard in Nashville and noticed every single door handle on EVERY car was gone. This place I go. They are still there.??? Maybe got something there. More research needed on my part...

tomsright

Jul 2, 2013
NatureCoast Florida
Detector(s) used
A/T PRO, 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow not many yards with old cars around here any more .They were crushed when steel was high some years back. I use to pick at junk yards too and one thing I'd look for is change ,under seats & in ash trays, Anywhere it might have landed. I found a bit of silver and Wheaties . I like the 55 Chevy piece.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Junk yards around here say no to wondering around on your own. You say what your looking for and they'll accompany you to the possible source. They say it's a liability thing. Years ago I so enjoyed hunting auto salvage yards.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read somewhere people would go to wrecking yards and get the power window motors out of cars and sell them on the bay, so if you can make money doing it, right on! GoodLuck!
Long ago I worked in an auto body shop and the boss would go to junk yards and buy the pre 69 vet headlight motor mechanisms and rebuild them to sell. I guess they were always malfunctioning.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I had a recent shocker with auto parts.

At an estate auction in July, I scored a 5 gallon bucket of tail light lenses from both Corvairs and Impalas. I immediately spied the '62 Impala tail lights, since the '62 is one of my favorite cars.

I went home, thrilled to have found them. They had an inch of dust and dirt on them, indicating they had been in the barn for quite some time. Back in the day, tail light lenses were like gold.

I got several lenses cleaned up, and then looked them up on ebay, thinking I had scored enough to pay for a vacation....and then learned that the bottom has fallen out of the market. Seems that most of the lenses are being re-popped, and prices for those are cheap, relatively speaking. The last that I had heard, the only re-pops were for ultra popular cars, like the '69 Camaro, but they were astronomically priced, at $275 per side.

So, my $5 find that I thought was gold is pretty much worthless. Disappointing, to say the least.

I reckon that is what happens when you stray away from a genre...the whole market can change while you are gone!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread