My first foray into saws

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
Picked up these two saws at an estate sale for $10. First one I believe is a Spier & Co. It has strange bolts and looks old. There is an elaborate pattern on the saw but is hard to photograph. I am Pretty sure it reads Spier & Co Nos. 12 _ ast Steel. I assume there should be a C in front of ast? There was a forum thread a while back about that little nob at the end of the saw, kinda made up my mind to grab it because of that.

saw (5).JPG saw (6).JPG saw (7).JPG saw (8).JPG saw (9).JPG

The only other one I could find on ebay was this one: Antique J Spier Co Hand Saw Split Nut Brass Intact | eBay

Second saw is a Henry Disston & Sons #4. I looked it up on my phone and they were all over the place price wise, so I said wth worth a $3 gamble.

saw (1).JPG saw (2).JPG saw (3).JPG saw (4).JPG

I know condition means a lot no matter the item, so if a could get a ball park figure on the saw condition that would be helpful. Being it is a tool meant for use I can't imagine many great condition antique saws are floating around. And the obvious question, do you clean restore them or leave them as is?

Thanks for any info.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice lookin saws . The Distton looks like it's for a miter box .

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah the Disston is a miter or a back saw. From the looks of the medallion it dates to somewhere around 1940's- 1955. Here is a link that will help you get a specific date on it- Online Reference of Disston Saws -- The Medallions I found a lineman's saw a few weeks ago. It has a Bell Telephone logo stamped on it and a clip to attach it to a carabiner.

OP
OP

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
Thanks for the info. Not sure I could properly identify the exact date of the saw, but yes between 1940 - 1955.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Yes, they can be cleaned up.

Plenty of good sites to find out how. I've cleaned up several using 600 grit paper and mineral spirits. It is messy and time consuming work.

I used 0000 fine steel wool and Goop hand cleaner WITHOUT pumice to clean up the wood. Make sure you don't shine up the brass nuts...only the saw handle itself. Do NOT use anything other than 0000 steel wool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread