I think its time to learn something new..

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's time to learn something new..

I got a phone call today from somebody to come look at some rings actually two houses. I bought two of them the other two I have an option to buy and I have them sitting right next to me. So I'll show you what I bought first and then the other two that I have the option to buy that just I'm clueless about. The first one is 14k 8.8 grams. I paid $135 for.

image-3658050186.jpg

This one is 14 K Ruby and diamonds I probably underpaid for this one which is okay but I need to know when I'm at somebody's house what I'm buying exactly. But I paid $125 for this one.

image-2340426150.jpg

I'm happy with both of them the ones going to get melted down most likely so that brings me to the other ones. The first one I believe is a one carat diamond on a 1930's platinum band. Then there are some other smaller stones around it as well.

image-1500473365.jpg

image-429097555.jpg

The second one is at least one and a half carat diamonds on also a platinum ring.

image-1156472838.jpg

image-1765711340.jpg

So I'm not sure what to offer for these two I kind of got a rough estimate from one person today but I don't know if he's trying to give me a good price or trying to buy them instead really cheap. So I think maybe it is time to figure out how to get certified in diamonds and gemstones.

Attachments

• image-2390287993.jpg
    image-2390287993.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 64

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
I would offer 300. apiece the older cut stones do not have as big a market as the newer cuts. Not to say you will get hurt at that price but you will have to hold on to them for awhile to get there worth. if they were signed they would be worth a higher offer.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think maybe it is time to figure out how to get certified in diamonds and gemstones.
There is an online course you can take- Certification - Gemology School - International Gem Society IGS

I also found this little excerpt here- GemologyOnline.com ? View topic - International Gem Society membership?

"Many people want to know how the IGS course compares with those offered by the GIA and similar organizations.
The GIA is an excellent organization. Their Graduate Gemologist degree is the most respected credential a person can hold in this industry. If you have the time and money, and are serious about a career in the gem industry, the GG course should be your first choice.
The IGS was created for everyone else. It is dedicated to all the gem cutters, collectors, jewelers, and others wanting to know more about gems.
Having a certification opens doors. Beyond that, it is the way an individual presents themselves and their work ethic that determines their success."

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool thank you very much. I will definitely check that out tonight after my sons football practice! I would say there's definitely an opportunity to make some money in that market but if you don't know what you're doing there's a really really really good way to screw yourself as well!!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool thank you very much. I will definitely check that out tonight after my sons football practice! I would say there's definitely an opportunity to make some money in that market but if you don't know what you're doing there's a really really really good way to screw yourself as well!!
I agree, in both respects. I have thought about it myself actually. Gemstones are a big weakness for me.

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew someone who took the GIA program and travelled the world buying and selling semiprecious gemstones and did quite well for himself. His personality and lifestyle also led to his success. After a few years he was able to settle down, start a family and retire early.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew someone who took the GIA program and travelled the world buying and selling semiprecious gemstones and did quite well for himself. His personality and lifestyle also led to his success. After a few years he was able to settle down, start a family and retire early.
Yeah, there is a big difference between GIA and IGS though, besides the price that is.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ordered their catalog so it says it will be in the mail from 3 to 5 business days. I have a feeling it'll be like a course that cost like $30,000 or something!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread