Old Model Ship from the Rummage Sale

AwakenYouthful

Aug 31, 2014
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I paid $1 for it. I'm a sucker sometimes for things and I just didn't want to pass it up for a buck. It looks pretty old, but maybe it's deceiving because of it's aged condition. I don't know how I'd ship this thing without it getting broken, that is if it's worth listing/selling. My hunch is that it's a rather common ship model and wouldn't sell for much, however I know nothing about these and I'm curious if any of you are interested in this kind of thing and know something about the history, age and value.

What do you think? Stopped at the lake for a hike after the sale and figured I may as well get the ship out of the car and take some pics. Seemed appropriate :laughing7:

Also, after I checked out my stuff at the rummage sale, an old lady introduced herself and told me she has 1 or 2 ships similar to the one I bought in size. She said that it was built by prisoners, a project of theirs. She took my name and #, said she'd call. She said I could have it for free. I doubt it would be worth too much, and not knowing the condition or anything about it, I'm debating if it would be worth my time to follow up on the offer. Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone.

photo (24).JPG photo (25).JPG photo (26).JPG photo (27).JPG photo (28).JPG photo (29).JPG

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
...an old lady introduced herself and told me she has 1 or 2 ships similar to the one I bought in size. She said that it was built by prisoners.

I would definitely take a look at her ships. Folk art can be popular and valuable. It can also be difficult to evaluate because pieces like this are typically one-of-a-kind so it can be hard to find comparable pieces. If I were looking at these, I would be checking the condition and the quality of the materials and workmanship. At least you don't have to worry about the price!

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
AS long as there is nothing broke or tore up that I am not seeing. I think you will make good money on it. I would start it at auction with a start of 25.00 and see where it went from there. Do not do free shipping on it .

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
It may be an advertiser's model. There is a famous scotch whisky with the same name.....nge

OP
OP
AwakenYouthful

AwakenYouthful

Aug 31, 2014
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the insight guys. My gf pointed out something that I missed, though I'm still not 100% sure on it. I thought the sails were real aged and weathered. But she said it is stained that way as an effect, intentionally. I dunno. Might just keep it here in the house for awhile, as shipping it makes me cringe a bit.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Looks like the modern Asian made decor stuff we find all over in my area. There was a big warehouse blowout sale last year by a import export company.

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like the modern Asian made decor stuff we find all over in my area. There was a big warehouse blowout sale last year by a import export company.

Agreed, see these all the time and I think it would be tough to get even $20 online. I think your best route is to consign it to an auction and hope two people have to have it. Just my opinion.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks like ones I have seen in souviegner shops, doubt it's worth much

OP
OP
AwakenYouthful

AwakenYouthful

Aug 31, 2014
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I figured it wasn't going to be worth anything. We like this kind of stuff here so we'll just display it for awhile. Maybe thrift it in a few months.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread