When is a yard sale not a yard sale?

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could have been a yard sell. I've seen people sit things on the ground and stumps and sell them by the road.

I would have tried to throw him off and I would have told him "I know, I was going to ask you if you needed help moving boxes out", with full intent of not really helping him.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan,

I'd say you found some humor there!! One local family had decided to paint their garage, but a mile past their house was an Estate Sale. They ended up stopping their morning work as we left the Estate Sale and started to stop when we saw a big sign that read: "NO SALE HERE. GO THAT WAY." and had a big RED arrow pointing the way!

Around my neck of the woods, the Dealers are out early, very early. There was a sale out by the North side of the city lake. It was to start a 7:00 A.M. My wife with me, we got there 30 minutes early only to find one of the Dealers already parked.

So, allowing for a back driveway to stay unblocked and add two more car links, I pulled behind the Dealer, turned off my lights and waited. No sign of house numbers, but the dealer must have known more than us. Stuff was piled out on the driveway and there were two pickups parked in front of it. This Dealer is truly a "Type A" personality and patience is not one of his strengths. As it slowly became light, he pops out of his vehicle and starts walking around the people's yard. You'd still need a flashlight to see well, but you could just see his Silhouette was going through the piles of boxes and looking in the back of the pickup beds.

No sign of the owners opening at 7:00 A.M., so we left him still prowling.... Later that morning, we came back to the garage sale and followed the signs..... They went past the place the Dealer was digging in and 6 more houses down... Even a 8:30, I found some Sterling jewelry.... Have to quietly laugh every time I see this Dealer!

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan,

I'd say you found some humor there!! One local family had decided to paint their garage, but a mile past their house was an Estate Sale. They ended up stopping their morning work as we left the Estate Sale and started to stop when we saw a big sign that read: "NO SALE HERE. GO THAT WAY." and had a big RED arrow pointing the way!

Around my neck of the woods, the Dealers are out early, very early. There was a sale out by the North side of the city lake. It was to start a 7:00 A.M. My wife with me, we got there 30 minutes early only to find one of the Dealers already parked.

So, allowing for a back driveway to stay unblocked and add two more car links, I pulled behind the Dealer, turned off my lights and waited. No sign of house numbers, but the dealer must have known more than us. Stuff was piled out on the driveway and there were two pickups parked in front of it. This Dealer is truly a "Type A" personality and patience is not one of his strengths. As it slowly became light, he pops out of his vehicle and starts walking around the people's yard. You'd still need a flashlight to see well, but you could just see his Silhouette was going through the piles of boxes and looking in the back of the pickup beds.

No sign of the owners opening at 7:00 A.M., so we left him still prowling.... Later that morning, we came back to the garage sale and followed the signs..... They went past the place the Dealer was digging in and 6 more houses down... Even a 8:30, I found some Sterling jewelry.... Have to quietly laugh every time I see this Dealer!

Yes I really Dislike these early Bird Dealers,
Except when I was set up at a Sale.
the early birds showed up with flashlights while I'm still
unloading boxes, &
cleaned out all my best goodies before dawn.

Nice thing when you have 3 competing dealers snooping with flashlights at one time.
Non want to risk walking away & come back .
may not be there then :laughing7:

However When I'm the wanna be Buyer, it almost makes it a waste of time to start looking a 7AM

Last edited:

Grundestoun

Dec 16, 2010
Idaho
Detector(s) used
coinmaster 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pulled up to one a few years ago. The yelled out no yard sale here, we just had a skunk in the house. They we're airing out everything on the front lawn. Glad I didn't get any closer. LOL!!!!!

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a dude look in my kitchen window before dawn to try and get me to come out and show him my garage sale stuff. I flipped him off. It wasn't nice, but neither was invading my space to make a buck off me before I even had a cup of coffee. The guy had some nerve.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what happens when you live in a cookie cutter house in a subdivision with zero lot lines. It's like living in a cage with a bunch of other rats. It was an honest mistake on your part. The jerk off should have a little more common sense and put up a sign that people can actually read. It's a Saturday morning for Christ's sake, what did he expect? I'm sure you were not the first to stop and ask, hence his pissy attitude. I would have reciprocated verbally as well. Yes, you get what you give.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Dan, don't sweat the stupid stuff on this thread...it is the internet, and any time you involve people into something, you can expect it to go astray.

Yes, it did look like a garage sale. I would have stopped too.

I once started a thread on another forum about breaking ground for a new garden plot. I asked if I should pay $100 to hire a guy with a tractor, or dig it up with a shovel and till it myself. I was astounded when the thread hit almost 3 full pages of people spouting off...basically how stupid I was for even thinking about using a shovel.

In my life, I've turned many new gardens with a shovel, mostly because I don't own a tractor, and God willing, I'll do it again in my life.

Nonetheless, the funniest thing about this thread is that for those who gave you mean spirited grief over spouting off to the guy...aren't they, in essence, doing the same thing when they've spouted off to you??

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Reminds me of my Grandfather who used to routinely stop at all yards sales with my Grandmother on their way home from church on Sundays. I remember him telling me about one busy yard he stopped at, went up to the first table and looked in the brown paper bag setting there and saw a big bucket of KFC, turns out it was a family picnic and he wasn't part of the family. lol

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of my Grandfather who used to routinely stop at all yards sales with my Grandmother on their way home from church on Sundays. I remember him telling me about one busy yard he stopped at, went up to the first table and looked in the brown paper bag setting there and saw a big bucket of KFC, turns out it was a family picnic and he wasn't part of the family. lol

ROFL :laughing7:

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan, don't sweat the stupid stuff on this thread...it is the internet, and any time you involve people into something, you can expect it to go astray.
97 as usual you don't know what you are talking about! just kidding ;)

Thanks, I keep telling my self that. I did expect everyone who has done their fair share of sales to know exactly what I was talking about and get a chuckle.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
I am the arbiter of all internet controversies. Dan clearly was classless in his reply and I therefore sentence him to spend a month of weekends in my city listening to the stuff I hear at every garage/yard sale, so he can practice holding his tongue: "I'm actually not selling that." "I looked them up on ebay and they go as high as $50.00 so I want $50.00." These 1991 Topps cards are very rare, and they even come with the box!" "Someday, this will be a real collector's item!" "I need to research this before I commit to a price." "Dang, I meant to bring what your looking for, but I left them at my parents house. Give me your number and I'll call you." "Craigslist said Friday? I swear I typed "Saturday." "I know the markets down for those widgets, but you know its going to go back up - it always has". "That's mine, I was going to buy it before you saw it." etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread