Disston Saw Id and Value Help

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi y'all,

I bought this Disston hand saw today for $2. This is my first time buying one. Using a link from another thread, I tried to i.d. it. I think it may be a 1940's D-23 but i'm not positive. If it is, what would you list it at? Should I try to clean it first? Any suggestions on how to clean?

ForumRunner_20141101_104618.png

ForumRunner_20141101_104731.png

OP
OP
mkulltra

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help. That was the site I had originally looked at from a previous thread. I looked through it again and still think it's from the 40's. Looks like the D-23 to me. It was one of their most popular models so it makes sense. Unfortunately not too rare so maybe i'll get around $30+shipping for it. Still not a bad buy or $2, so i"m happy with it. And I got to learn a lot about Disston saws which is good for future picks. I normally don't spend much time in garages at estate sales but there wasn't much else worthwhile at this one. To someone that knows tools, there probably was much more to be found that I missed. Tools is one area that I don't know much. Seems like there is good money to be made in that category though. Some of those Disston saws can go for $150+.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not the only way to go, but leave the handle alone. Clean the powdery rust off the blade with some 0000 steel wool & citric acid. Go really light where the name is etched on the blade. Dry it good & give it a nice polishing with paste furniture wax to protect. I think you're a little low on the price. I'd list it at $59, that'd allow you to dicker down to $49.
Disstonian Institute.com -- Online Reference of Disston Saws or Old Woodworking Tools are good sources for info & building your wish list. If you get into collecting handsaws, believe it or not Ace Hardware has the screws for the handles cheaper than the dealers on the web. If you decide to do the handle, a good trick is use Goof Off very sparingly to remove rub marks & paint spatters rub lightly with 0000 steel wool and automotive clear coat in rattle cans to refinish. A lot quicker & easier than schellac! If you hit a lot of estate sales & see tools you want, go back later in the day & use the old "How much you want for the whole pile?" line. You'd really be surprised what you can get just because they want them gone. If you end up with a bunch of stuff you don't really want in your collection they're trading material or can be sold for parts. You sometimes can make your money back just selling a few parts to other restorers or collectors.

MOST OF ALL!! Have fun with it!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread