Meade... again

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
A couple of months ago, I picked up a Meade telescope set for $70 at an estate sale. I turned a profit of over $300 on that set by selling the base set (the scope and a variety of eyepieces) as one unit and some of the accessory pieces individually. As part of my research leading up to listing the telescope, I priced out the individual eyepieces. That knowledge proved very useful yesterday when I came across a nice set of Meade telescope eyepieces.

DSC05425.JPG DSC05426.JPG

The two large eyepieces would sell for about $40 each and the smaller ones for about $20 each. I have seen a similar set sell for about $225 so I don't know if there is much to be gained by selling the individual pieces. The guy wanted $100. When I hesitated, he said, "How about $75?" I agreed but didn't have correct change so he took $70 instead.

DSC05427.JPG

The only other thing I bought was this Griswold waffle iron. Paid $15. I think it is supposed to have a base piece with it. Oh well, live and learn. I can probably get $30 - $40 for it anyway.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tallone:

Are they 1.25" or 2" EP's? Plossl?

Meade sells some decent eyepieces (EP's) in those kits. Key is
are they clean, cracked or damaged?

If you want the lowdown on them feel free to visit my site, as
members there can tell you all you want to know about those.

AstroHolic.com - An Amateur Astronomy Community (astronomy site, not treasure related). We
do have a "For Sale" forum also.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, that griswold is missing it's base. The hinge is round so that the waffle iron can be rotated and heated from both sides. I actually just got an older version of yours that's missing the handles, any way you'd be willing to part yours out?

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info - I've done well selling telescope eye-pieces too. I'd much rather sell those than telescopes. Good money and can ship first class. Terrific find there.

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
@DizzyDigger - I have bought and sold a lot of optical stuff over the years. I'm always careful to check for damage. All these EPs are in beautiful condition. These are all 1.25" diameter Super Plossl. I have no idea what "plossl" means, BTW. And what is the difference between "plossl" and "super plossl"?

DSC05428.JPG

@Baltimore - I would be happy to talk with you about parting mine out. I will send you a Private Message so we can discuss this off the public forum.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tallone:

Are they 1.25" or 2" EP's? Plossl?

Meade sells some decent eyepieces (EP's) in those kits. Key is
are they clean, cracked or damaged?

If you want the lowdown on them feel free to visit my site, as
members there can tell you all you want to know about those.

AstroHolic.com - An Amateur Astronomy Community (astronomy site, not treasure related). We
do have a "For Sale" forum also.
A friend of mine is into astronomy, big time. I'll direct him to your site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread