Help On A Couple Glass Finds, Maker Maybe?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to attribute a maker to these pieces.One is a piece or uranium glass. It's actually a pale yellow/green in person, not as green as it appears in the photos. It does glow under a UV light. It's shaped like a strawberry with a snail finial. Sits about 5.5" tall and about 5" wide one way 4" the other.

DSC09124.jpg DSC09126.jpg

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next is a translucent milk (opal) glass piece with a family of sheep depicted on it. It has gilded trimming all over it. The part with the picture on it is raised as shown in the last photo. It stands 5.5" tall and is 4.25" wide at the top It appears to have a ground polished pontil and does show some age on the bottom of it. I can't find anything similar myself.

DSC09117.jpg DSC09115.jpg DSC09122.jpg DSC09123.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Notice the picture on it is similar in style to 18th and 19th century engravings.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to attribute a maker to these pieces.One is a piece or uranium glass. It's actually a pale yellow/green in person, not as green as it appears in the photos. It does glow under a UV light. It's shaped like a strawberry with a snail finial. Sits about 5.5" tall and about 5" wide one way 4" the other.

VALLERYSTHAL There are a couple on ebay now in white with most of the paint missing. It appears people feel compelled to call it a butter box. But since its a giant fruit I would probably call it a jam or jelly or something other than butter box. The only reason I know is I remember seeing it after i passed up on a strange shaped cabbage lidded bowl. After I got home I felt I should look it up. It only sold for $8 so I think I made the right decision but yours should fair much better since its a completely different piece.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VALLERYSTHAL There are a couple on ebay now in white with most of the paint missing. It appears people feel compelled to call it a butter box. But since its a giant fruit I would probably call it a jam or jelly or something other than butter box. The only reason I know is I remember seeing it after i passed up on a strange shaped cabbage lidded bowl. After I got home I felt I should look it up. It only sold for $8 so I think I made the right decision but yours should fair much better since its a completely different piece.
:thumbsup:Thanks Dump, I figured all it wuld take is a fresh set of eyes. Now I know why I couldn't find it. I just noticed the snail on top of it when I took the photos. That was the keyword when searching for it. I found another vaseline example. It's a covered sugar btw. factory scroll down to Vallerysthal. And another on Worthpoint but who knows how much it sold for. Snail On Strawberry Yellow Vaseline Glass Sugar Bowl

Now, about that other piece which I find much more intriguing...

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup:Thanks Dump, I figured all it wuld take is a fresh set of eyes. Now I know why I couldn't find it. I just noticed the snail on top of it when I took the photos. That was the keyword when searching for it. I found another vaseline example. It's a covered sugar btw. factory scroll down to Vallerysthal. And another on Worthpoint but who knows how much it sold for. Snail On Strawberry Yellow Vaseline Glass Sugar Bowl

Now, about that other piece which I find much more intriguing...

that one on worthpoint sold for $99. yes I am still that sucker paying for worthpoint.

You are going to need someone with more knowledge than I to pin down the other one. I would guess around 1900 from the theme. Your best bet might be finding that shape piece without the enameling or painting. Has some German qualities to it. You could search other things like goat, mephistopheles , rampant goat. It was blown into a mold before being ground and polished. So probably a factory piece. Not much to go on but that might be a start.

Last edited:
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that one on worthpoint sold for $99. yes I am still that sucker paying for worthpoint.

You are going to need someone with more knowledge than I to pin down the other one. I would guess around 1900 from the theme. Your best bet might be finding that shape piece without the enameling or painting. Has some German qualities to it. You could search other things like goat, mephistopheles , rampant goat. It was blown into a mold before being ground and polished. So probably a factory piece. Not much to go on but that might be a start.
Thanks for the info on the vaseline strawberry. I'm out of options on the other piece. Among other things, I searched every piece of white glass on ebay, current, sold and completed listings. I can't find anything that comparable really. It does depict a family of sheep though, not goats.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That opal glass screams French & the decor scream French as well but that said it is most likely Bohemian as its shape suggests... as a matter of fact I would bet on it being made by Biedermeier, not a cheap piece. Value probably in the several hundred range. Circa 1860ish or a little newer. & Ya that first piece is a somewhat hard to find in vaseline glass piece & made by (PV) Portieux Vallerysthal.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That opal glass screams French & the decor scream French as well but that said it is most likely Bohemian as its shape suggests... as a matter of fact I would bet on it being made by Biedermeier, not a cheap piece. Value probably in the several hundred range. Circa 1860ish or a little newer. & Ya that first piece is a somewhat hard to find in vaseline glass piece & made by (PV) Portieux Vallerysthal.
Thank you for giving me another direction to look. I was thinking French because of the type of glass, but it didn't look right. That's my second piece of Portieux Vallerysthal vaseline this past year, I have a perfume decanter also.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for giving me another direction to look. I was thinking French because of the type of glass, but it didn't look right. That's my second piece of Portieux Vallerysthal vaseline this past year, I have a perfume decanter also.

Its most definitely Bohemian 19th century. Enameling is of a very high quality. The French called this color of glass "pate de riz" (rice paste).

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry Diggum, I have spent some time and cant nail down that vase. I have a friend who specializes in glass, I will try to show this picture to him after Thanksgiving week. Hope someone can solve this one for you.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told this on one glass forum...

"Brian Severn Neat piece, it appears to be Alabaster glass, probably would date to 1850-1860. Maker, Harrach was a prominent maker of Biedermeier period glass, but not the only one."

I was told these things on a Bohemian glass specific forum...

"Kirstin Maaß I think it is a Alabaster glass goblet - bohemia - Biedermeier.".

"Forrest D. Poston Based on the style, that's at least a good guess. General category for color would usually be "opaline"."

"Marty Hoenig I'm with the Alabaster Glass .. it is a more grey colour and a greasy appearance meant to imitate alabaster stone . Opaline should show rainbow colours like an opal it is achieved by reheating the glass. this is Highly likely Bohemian"

"Larry Wilson I'll post a wild guess: England, Richardson, 1850 or before"

I posted it a few other places that are filled with glass collectors & dealers. Your vase or goblet or whatever it is is pretty darn rare! Literally 5K to 10K glass collecting type people have seen your pix of it now & not a single positive ID as of yet! I am more with it being 1860 or prior now, would be a great antique roadshow piece, it would most likely get ya on TV!

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told this on one glass forum...

"Brian Severn Neat piece, it appears to be Alabaster glass, probably would date to 1850-1860. Maker, Harrach was a prominent maker of Biedermeier period glass, but not the only one."

I was told these things on a Bohemian glass specific forum...

"Kirstin Maaß I think it is a Alabaster glass goblet - bohemia - Biedermeier.".

"Forrest D. Poston Based on the style, that's at least a good guess. General category for color would usually be "opaline"."

"Marty Hoenig I'm with the Alabaster Glass .. it is a more grey colour and a greasy appearance meant to imitate alabaster stone . Opaline should show rainbow colours like an opal it is achieved by reheating the glass. this is Highly likely Bohemian"

"Larry Wilson I'll post a wild guess: England, Richardson, 1850 or before"

I posted it a few other places that are filled with glass collectors & dealers. Your vase or goblet or whatever it is is pretty darn rare! Literally 5K to 10K glass collecting type people have seen your pix of it now & not a single positive ID as of yet! I am more with it being 1860 or prior now, would be a great antique roadshow piece, it would most likely get ya on TV!
Nice. Good and bad I guess. Good that it's a rare piece and bad that it hasn't really been identified yet. I know I never seen anything like it before, I bought it because of the graphics and the gilt work, that and because it showed some age to it. As for the Roadshow, no such luck. I sign up every year. The closest I got was getting my brother in law on there because I signed him up too, That several years ago. He took my mother in law, which was fine because she had always wanted to go. She has since passed on, so at least she got that knocked off her bucket list before going. It was good that she got to go.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after reading what Inspector wrote. I found this. <http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/mid-1800s-biedermeier-ruby-flash-cut-490510227> Their pictures are not as good as yours but I would say its possible it came from the same mold. And if you type in Biedermeier glass enamels you can see several with a similar shape. The dip near the lip of the piece. I think they are carving/cutting the bottoms on some of the pieces.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I'll throw this out there, just because I'm usually never right about this stuffs, and figure, what the hay...... :laughing7:
I have a piece that was my moms, not opal glass, but with gold etching. It says Alka Bavaria Beale on the bottom.
An ebay search returned a few vases, similar or kinda sorta like yours/mine. Mine is totally different though.
See if those search words can find you anything kinda close to it and good luck!

I absolutely love that strawberry jam jar! Also, before you get rid of those creepy crawler plates you got, maybe I would take them. I'm thinking of art applications I can use them for with mini clay sculptures. Thanks.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I'll throw this out there, just because I'm usually never right about this stuffs, and figure, what the hay...... :laughing7:
I have a piece that was my moms, not opal glass, but with gold etching. It says Alka Bavaria Beale on the bottom.
An ebay search returned a few vases, similar or kinda sorta like yours/mine. Mine is totally different though.
See if those search words can find you anything kinda close to it and good luck!

I absolutely love that strawberry jam jar! Also, before you get rid of those creepy crawler plates you got, maybe I would take them. I'm thinking of art applications I can use them for with mini clay sculptures. Thanks.

Alka Bavaria manufactured porcelain. I don't think they made any glass. Here is a site that will help you date the mark, probably made between 1938 and 1960. The creepy crawlies will be going soon. I was gonna list the whole lot together when I do sell it, though I don't know for how much.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after reading what Inspector wrote. I found this. <http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/mid-1800s-biedermeier-ruby-flash-cut-490510227> Their pictures are not as good as yours but I would say its possible it came from the same mold. And if you type in Biedermeier glass enamels you can see several with a similar shape. The dip near the lip of the piece. I think they are carving/cutting the bottoms on some of the pieces.
I'm inclined to believe it is a Biedermeier era piece. I have since seen many with similar shapes, I just can't put an actual maker name to it. I think that is the key to it's value. I think the key to that is finding another vase in the exact shape. I can find many that are very close, but no exact matches. The closest so far have been beakers made by Becher.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bec...CAcQ_AUoAg#tbm=isch&q=becher+alabaster+beaker

Last edited:

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm inclined to believe it is a Biedermeier era piece. I have since seen many with similar shapes, I just can't put an actual maker name to it. I think that is the key to it's value. I think the key to that is finding another vase in the exact shape. I can find many that are very close, but no exact matches. The closest so far have been beakers made by Becher.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bec...CAcQ_AUoAg#tbm=isch&q=becher+alabaster+beaker

Harrach is another serious possibility, they made a whole lot of glass much of which was lightly documented.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Harrach is another serious possibility, they made a whole lot of glass much of which was lightly documented.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread