Wood Carving - "Rape of the Sabine Women"

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked this up for $10. I'm usually good at placing unusual art pieces firmly into "amateur/tourist crap" and "legitimate folk/fine art" categories, but this one is proving elusive. It looks like a lot of tacky religious carvings I come across (I pass on these as they generally have no value), but the subject matter is interesting, being an interpretation of a secular (and pretty grim) theme, the abduction of the Sabine women by the Romans. At least that's the closest I've been able to come across: Google "Rape/Abduction of Sabine Women" for other artists' interpretations.

It's no masterpiece, but it's skillful enough and certainly took time to carve by hand... and it's an interesting choice of subject matter.

So, am I missing something? Are things like this common? If not, I'm going to guess art student's piece, no idea on date though. "JORDAN" is spelled out in pen on the bottom of the base, almost looks like a child's handwriting. No idea if it's the artist or not.

Anyway, some pics:

image-2908156271.jpg

image-2716049354.jpg

image-2265288172.jpg

Stands about 12" high, no idea what kind of wood but it has been heavily varnished. Think I'll ask $100 OBO if it turns out not to be common.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it and I don't think your price is going to be too much. Some may not pay that, but you will probably find a buyer at that price.

OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it's based on the 1865 statue "The Rape of Polyxena" by Pio Fedi. It's one of the statues in the Loggia dei Lanzi near the Uffizi, in Florence. Probably a souvenir.

You are absolutely right. I have a feeling it's old or a student project since searches for "Rape of Polyxena wood carving" and similar yield nothing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread