nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was too muddy for me to get out metal detecting today, so I decided to browse around the thrift stores for some hidden treasures. I am glad I did, all these spoons were in a box with about 40 other pieces. the silver plated pieces including about 18 pieces of "USN" marked, I do not have in the pictures. The spoons in the first pic are all marked "Sterling", The Spoons and knives in the second pic are pretty interesting with four of the pieces possibly being silver but not marked sterling. Any help in what these pieces are worth or any added info would be greatly Appreciated.

Here is a list of the makers mark from left to right of the pieces in the second pic:
The first 4 gold pieces -Dated: Apr 94 marked Waldo
the 2 monogrammed spoons are marked - N Harding & co.
the next spoon is marked- Watson with a eagle
the knife is marked - Gorham co. 1880
the ivory color and red colored handled spoons are marked- A.Blanpain France

the third pic is a Canada Souvenir spoon that is marked "sterling" and the word "Canada going down the handle.

Attachments

• photo (23).JPG
    photo (23).JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 98
  • photo (24).JPG
    photo (24).JPG
    61 KB · Views: 97
  • photo (25).JPG
    photo (25).JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 93

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find ! We just got our ''USN'' set out of the cupboard , we only use them on Thanksgiving & Christmas . It was a Tail-gait auction 15 years ago, the auctioneer said '' Here's a box of flatware " He held up a handful " There're all black....looks like they've been in a fire ,who will give $2 ...$2...$2.... " I finally held my card up " Sold "
They were blacker than a stack of black cats - My girlfriend started polishing them when we got home , It was a happy surprise to see they were all ''USN''

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice thrift score! Was this a mom and pop local store or a big name?

Thanks, actually it was a Goodwill ,I watched them set it out, so they had about 30 seconds instore shelf life, LOL.

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find ! We just got our ''USN'' set out of the cupboard , we only use them on Thanksgiving & Christmas . It was a Tail-gait auction 15 years ago, the auctioneer said '' Here's a box of flatware " He held up a handful " There're all black....looks like they've been in a fire ,who will give $2 ...$2...$2.... " I finally held my card up " Sold "
They were blacker than a stack of black cats - My girlfriend started polishing them when we got home , It was a happy surprise to see they were all ''USN''

Very Nice, it is something to watch the black tarnish turn into shine with alittle work.

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't recognize any of the patterns, but generally the larger serving spoons, ladles, and the salad fork/spoon(thing on the end?) are usually where the value is if any. Easiest thing to do it just search the company name on ebay and see what results you get. There's some patterns that are worth 2-3x spot and even more for rarer pieces. Either way amazing find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions