tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I go to one of my favorite indoor flea markets. I saw this weighted candlestick a couple months ago for 10 bucks. At that price I passed. This day, the booth says 50% off on all items in the booth. I get it for $5.30 with the tax and all. Just so you know what these guys have in scrap I strip it and smash it. I get a total of 19 grams of sterling out of it. This was what I expected to get, as I've busted up a few of these over the years. The actual value in silver is around 9 bucks at 16 dollar spot. Wow! I get a whopping 2-1/2 to 3 bucks more worth of spot silver out of it at the prices these days. In to the scrap pile it goes. I've not sold any silver scrap for more then a year now and I think it would bring me a $1.80 to $2.00 profit at the scrap buyer if I took it to him today. So if you see these out there, just use this as a reference to know what to expect out of these short weighted candlesticks if you plan to scrap them. I've not been to happy with the price they bring on complete ones I've sold on ebay. The extra weight of them adds to much in shipping cost for anyone to pop for much more over scrap, if even that?. The large ones will sell better on ebay if they're cleaned up and nice looking. Those I don't scrap and leave complete, unless it's too beat up and unattractive looking. Those get smashed also and then someone down the road can recycle it into a new piece of jewelry or something else if and when I ever sell my small pile of junk silver.

Attachments

• candlestick ster. 1.jpg
    candlestick ster. 1.jpg
    598.7 KB · Views: 187
  • candlestick ster. 2.jpg
    candlestick ster. 2.jpg
    699.1 KB · Views: 212

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
How much did it weigh before you pealed it?

Yesterday I go to one of my favorite indoor flea markets. I saw this weighted candlestick a couple months ago for 10 bucks. At that price I passed. This day, the booth says 50% off on all items in the booth. I get it for $5.30 with the tax and all. Just so you know what these guys have in scrap I strip it and smash it. I get a total of 19 grams of sterling out of it. This was what I expected to get, as I've busted up a few of these over the years. The actual value in silver is around 9 bucks at 16 dollar spot. Wow! I get a whopping 2-1/2 to 3 bucks more worth of spot silver out of it at the prices these days. In to the scrap pile it goes. I've not sold any silver scrap for more then a year now and I think it would bring me a $1.80 to $2.00 profit at the scrap buyer if I took it to him today. So if you see these out there, just use this as a reference to know what to expect out of these short weighted candlesticks if you plan to scrap them. I've not been to happy with the price they bring on complete ones I've sold on ebay. The extra weight of them adds to much in shipping cost for anyone to pop for much more over scrap, if even that?. The large ones will sell better on ebay if they're cleaned up and nice looking. Those I don't scrap and leave complete, unless it's too beat up and unattractive looking. Those get smashed also and then someone down the road can recycle it into a new piece of jewelry or something else if and when I ever sell my small pile of junk silver.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much did it weigh before you pealed it?
I didn't weigh it. The plaster core is in intact, so I could put that on the scale. I give the fill cores that are good and complete to the fella I sell scrap to from time to time. He uses those to show and educate folks coming in to sell weighted silver and let them know why their weighted silver is mostly dead weight and not a bunch of ounces of silver, but really just a few grams. When silver was at $35.00 on Oct 4th 2012, this single candlestick had an actual spot value of $19.78 back then, so this is why I'll just stash it for now and hope silver moves again some day. I posted this just to give folks an idea of how much actual silver can be expected from these little weighted candlesticks. If you see them at a yard sale or thrift store for more then 20 bucks for the pair you'll be over paying at today's price of silver. It seems they'll all yield about 18 to 20 grams of clean .925 scrap silver. I can weigh the core later and let you know what it is.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have scrapped many of those buggers. It is almost consistant that 90% of the weight is dead weight. So my guess Tamrock is going to give a weight of 180 to 200 grams.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread