Mysterious 14k watch made by C & E Marshall Co, known for making watch-making tools?

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ForumRunner_20150108_011106.png

ForumRunner_20150108_011120.png

ForumRunner_20150108_011130.png
This watch was the dark horse in a lot of more standard gold-filled selections, I got a great deal even at scrap value for the case but it's way too nice for that imo even if I end up just adding it to the collection. A somewhat fancier case from this maker, set with emeralds on either end, just finished at auction on the 'Bay for around a bill, and a fellow Tnet member checked this for me on Worthpoint and said it sold for $50: http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/c-e-marshall-co-ladies-watch-14k-white-gold

Those are essentially the only two examples I can find (online) of watches made by this manufacturer, who are apparently widely known for the watch maker's tools they produced. I'm no longer harboring any illusions of this being some kind of mega-score, but I am kind of confused that they don't seem to command any kind of premium compared to watches of similar style/construction etc. Any information on the company or their watch range is extremely welcome!

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they were just sold with C.&E marshal name on them.It was actually made by another company. They call them private label watches. The company sold watchmaker, tools, and parts. I think they may have sold jeweler supplies too. I'm just guessing right now. I have some of the old catalog's, I'll see if I can find one later on today.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kali_is_my_copilot

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I didn't even know that was a thing! I assumed it was a "Marshall-branded" item because the case is signed Marshall but I see what you're saying. Are there any reference books that collect catalogue info? I keep meaning to explore the reference works at the library but don't really know where to start.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most bigger supply companies and jeweler's had wrist and pocket watches with their name on them. Sometimes just on the dial, or stamped into the movement like yours. The easiest way to find out who actually made it, is to look at movement's and match them up. Some of the old parts catalog's had "fingerprint" type pictures for movement's when ordering parts. You might find the exact movement with 10 different names on it as an example. The real maker usually has a symbol or something stamped into it somewhere. Usually under the dial. The case I'm not sure about. I'm guessing the same thing there. One company could have made the case and another the movement? I'm going to just take a wild guess and say 30's or 40's. maybe even a little earlier? All my books are packed away, I'm trying to find some info online.

OP
OP
kali_is_my_copilot

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though the movement and the case are both signed Marshall? I was thinking about that though, "C & E Marshall Co" (on the movement) and "Marshall" (on the case) aren't necessarily the same entity. I will inspect both further and report back with anything interesting.

Edit: nm I see what you meant, I'm probably too sleepy to be online but I need something to keep me up until my wash load of sheets, blankets & pjs is done drying so I can go to bed properly (also warmly). I'll look for less-obvious marks, thanks again for all the info & definitely let me know if you find anything else :)

Last edited:

brmartin

Mar 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see this thread is a little dated, but I am doing some investigating on this myself.

I too own a Marshall watch, with inscriptions on the case and movement. I can't seem to find anything about it. Here are some photos:

DSC04301.JPG 2017-03-16-223011.jpg 2017-03-16-223218.jpg DSC04283.JPG

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA