Another gem from an estate

BayRockMan

Sep 14, 2014
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had no clue what it was. Neither did the auctioneer. But you knew it was an old and delicate instrument. Marked "Chas. C. Hutchinson Boston English" we bought it. Took a little digging to figure out what it was and how to use it. Modern versions are in use to this day but certainly does make one admire the sheer ingenuity of the folks in the previous centuries. I'll leave this unidentified for a couple of days to see if anyone recognizes it.

CH1.jpg

PullTabProphet

Mar 17, 2014
West FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't put my finger on it but, possibly nautical. Sextant box or some sort of transit level?

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With the level bubbles, hmmm, almost like a primitive stud finder or something hah

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's obviously used to level your pool table

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Three point level can get very precise,that's how we did machinery and granite surface plates,
other than that I ain't got a clue.

GOD Bless

Chris

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
My guess is a survey or buildng tool, based on the fine leveling accuracy it can do. Once level, you had a perfectly flat plane for a reference from, which would give you a perfect horizontal plane.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clearly its a very, very primitive Etch-a-sketch. Where you would take hours to draw something with those two knobs at the bottom. Probably a bald headed man.

Some sort of surveying tool is my best guess.

OP
OP
B

BayRockMan

Sep 14, 2014
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an artificial horizon for use with a sextant when a natural horizon is not available (usually on land). To create the artificial horizon, you just level the black glass surface. To determine the angle of a star with the horizon, you use a sextant to align the star with the reflection of the star off of the artificial horizon's black glass. Then just divide the sextant's angle reading by 2 to get the angle the star makes with the natural horizon. Circa 1883 to early 1900s.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread