Going to have a yardsale

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I am also concerned about any dentist that wants to do a root canal on a little one. I am no DDS, but remember the concern about the possibility of doing a root canal on my DD when she was about 5.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beachkid, sorry to hear about your daughter and happy to hear you are taking a pro-active step in getting it taken care of sooner than later.

"Tooth decay has nothing to do with bacteria, and everything to do with an overly acidic body. Acids break down teeth and tissue, not bacteria."

Tooth decay is caused from acid. Acid can come from the foods we eat like diet soda, fruits etc. BACTERIA in the mouth produce a waste (just like any living thing) when they eat the sugars that we eat. That waste is acid and causes the tooth structures to break down. Therefore, bacteria has a lot to do with tooth decay. That being said, systemic antibiotics will not fight this oral bacteria and the reason (most likely) the DDS gave your daughter antibiotics is because when a cavity gets deep enough into the tooth the bacteria enters the body through the pulp of the tooth "root canal". The antibiotics will work to fight this infection. I agree 2 months is WAY to long to have a child on antibiotics for an infected tooth.

"I am also concerned about any dentist that wants to do a root canal on a little one"

The reason dentists try to save primary teeth is to keep the space for the permanent tooth underneath. It could cost thousands of dollars to try to move teeth that have drifted into the space caused by removing a baby tooth to soon.

I am a dental professional and don't have all the answers but I do know what I replied is true. I would also try to get my kids on my own family medical and dental plans if at all possible with the Medicaid as a secondary insurance. Unfortunately the reality is the dentists and medical doctors do not make enough $ working on patients with these insurance plans to cover their operating costs. They did not go to school for 8 to 10 years with hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on their training/education to loose money and I guarantee their staff likes to get paid as well :). I am sure it is not that they don't want to help people but they shouldn't go belly up either. Has to be a balance. I am not trying to sound rude but wanted to give a different point of view as well.

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey beachkid...sorry yo hear about your daughters tooth problem. Just curious....if it is a first tooth isn't better just to pull it? Antibiotics and surgery sounds unnecessary for a first tooth, but I'm definitely not an expert.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a little update on this if anyone is interested. I took her to my dentist today and he looked at her. He said no root canal and no extraction. His friend is a pediatric dentist. and he referred me to him. I talked to him on the phone and they do accept her insurance but only 50%. however he said he was going to give us a family member discount because I am a patient of his friend and because we adopted the kids. So we have a meeting on Thursday next week. Then they want to get her in on Monday or Tuesday to have it done ASAP! Thank goodness because as a dad and being a new dad because we adopted all three of our kids within The last two years. Seeing her hurting breaks my heart more than I can ever explain! And knowing that she is getting help by people who don't know her but they want to help her because of the family she's has and because of people caring about her makes me really proud to be her dad!

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, that's good to hear. I hope it gets taken care of! As a parent it is so hard to watch your child be in pain. And kudos to you for all you have done for your kids.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's good to hear. I hope it gets taken care of! As a parent it is so hard to watch your child be in pain. And kudos to you for all you have done for your kids.

Thanks! We have been to 4 dentists this last two weeks. Never got an appointment before March. Until today. Spent over $300 going to other dentists who said they can get her taken care of right away but afterwards outsource them or made some crazy appointment time far away.

So today after her appointment we went and got Zaxby's chicken nuggets and french fries for lunch. Then headed to the mall and bought soap and lotion for the girls that she picked out from Bath and Bodyworks. And headed to the Disney store and bought frozen toys from the movie!

So it was fun. I am scared to death of when she really wants to start shopping ..... So I'm going to make extra sure I enjoy these years!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Thanks! We have been to 4 dentists this last two weeks. Never got an appointment before March. Until today. Spent over $300 going to other dentists who said they can get her taken care of right away but afterwards outsource them or made some crazy appointment time far away.

Have you called the original agency that you adopted the kids from, and asked where most of the foster parents and other adoptive parents take their kids that have Medicaid?

I'm telling ya, we've been through this before. Same thing, over and over.

The dentists are so kind, and yet so urgent about getting your kid in for an appointment...and then when they hear that she is Medicaid, your appointment is set for November 29, 2017 ("it is the ONLY opening we have, sir"), or they can make an appointment in their Detroit office for sometime in October.

This whole dentist ordeal will be easy when you figure out where all of the Medicaid kids are welcomed.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright well I'm set up now finally. About as good as I'm going to get but it will be a little more organized tomorrow because I can use the whole driveway. There's been a lot of reports from other people having yard sales that he'll get the one lady in here to try to buy a whole bunch of stuff and then family members or whoever will try to steal whenever they can. So I'm going to set up most of my stuff inside the garage. Then have a bunch of kids toys and bigger items outside and I really don't care about so I guess that's that. My wife is sick so I'm kind of going to wing this on my own except for my nine-year-old can help me if she gets out of bed before 930 am.

Well this is what I have.

image-3001558485.jpg

image-2930249847.jpg

image-2890372752.jpg

image-2437702222.jpg

image-3955719673.jpg

image-2214144940.jpg

image-3302119109.jpg

image-2363672558.jpg

image-838073804.jpg

image-213087530.jpg

image-4267193202.jpg

image-191586202.jpg

image-1864854888.jpg

image-2629138661.jpg

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I went shopping before hand and spent two dollars and got a huge score on jewelry. And then made an additional $375 on the stuff I was selling as well! Not a bad day!

I still have a lot of jewelry to search still. But the stuff I got is well worth it!! I'll add pictures after I clean up this place and take a nap

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any attempted 'mobbing' incidents?

There was a lot of people. Probably four times as many as there was last year. The sale was only from 9 to 1 and I really had nothing worth buying after 1130. And I did not feel like pulling anything else out. I did not even set up until 915 because I was going to everybody else's sale because that was more important! Lol

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Beachkid - just curious - what did your box of flatware sell for? Just picked up a complete box of Community Oneida yesterday for $30.00 (had several odd pieces of sterling thrown in also). Thanks!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beachkid - just curious - what did your box of flatware sell for? Just picked up a complete box of Community Oneida yesterday for $30.00 (had several odd pieces of sterling thrown in also). Thanks!

$10 but it was missing a couple. All if it was marked sterling. But it was plated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread