Tarnished silver, WWYD? polish or leave?

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
So, I got this horrible, ugly necklace in a jar. I thought the thing was junk costume, until I noticed the tag. It's sterling silver, and I recognized the designer, as I have had earrings before from him. Antioch. I took it to the jeweler. He really liked it, but said I would get more on Ebay that selling it to him. (Not as scrap). I asked him to polish it up for me, and he said it is supposed to be that way. It's distressed. I don't think so. There is a matching pair of earrings with no tarnish on it.

Get this ... he xrayed it for me to make sure it was silver. It's marked 925, but it's not. It's more! He said maybe 930 or higher. He said it is a lot of silver there.

2015-02-11 22.49.36.jpg 2015-02-11 22.50.16.jpg 2015-02-11 22.53.05.jpg

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were selling it on Ebay, I would put in the description what the jeweler said, what your opinion is, and say you will leave it up to the buyer to decide.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks gold plated (vermeil) no, or is that just the photo? I can see it's made to look distressed, but I don't think the actual finish was pre tarnished to accomplish that. All I know is, when it comes to jewelry, buyers like it shiny and bright. If it were a hundred years old or more, I'd leave it alone.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He xrayed it and could tell it was higher Silver content? Im hoping for your sake it is Silver, but at first look. It looks like gold plated junk.

What is that Greenish blue color that is coming thru the gold plating on the last picture?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I just found several pieces by this maker and they were all vermeil. So "tarnish" doesn't come into play, since gold doesn't tarnish. Just clean the thing and find another jeweler since his comments don't make sense on a gold plated object. If the plating is wearing off in spots then that will obviously affect the value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread