Ever see gold reaction to well water?

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
The point was I didn't know what you were talking about...You were breaking it down into "parts" and calling it karats...never heard gold described that way...so you meant a 14k gold ring alloyed with silver is 14k gold and 10k silver?

I am sure you already know this:

Karat (K) tells the number of parts, by weight, of gold in 24 parts of alloy. The higher the percentage of pure gold, the higher the karat. Pure gold is 24K. 18K is 18 parts fine gold and 6 parts metal; 14K is 14 parts fine gold and 10 parts metal; and 10K is 10 parts fine gold and 14 parts other metal.

24/24 = 1 = 100%

18/24 = 3/4 = 75% and so on.

There is an allowable deviation (small) from exact percentages to be labeled a particular karat weight.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure you already know this:

24/24 = 1 = 100%

18/24 = 3/4 = 75% and so on.

There is an allowable deviation (small) from exact percentages to be labeled a particular karat weight.
Yeah, I know what your talking about now...at first you threw me off when you gave the "other metals" a karat value instead of a percentage value.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I know what your talking about now...at first you threw me off when you gave the "other metals" a karat value instead of a percentage value.

It did me too, at first. I just thought it was a typo. There was one post that had percentages and Karat mixed.

I know what your talking about, I thought the same thing the first time I read it. :thumbsup:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Gold is relatively inert. Ground water conditions are pretty tame.

I think I understand what you are trying to say! However, the effects of water heavy in Iron and Sulphur is very similar to the blackish stained Gold that is found in mineralization deposits also heavy in Iron and Sulphur. While there is very little that will stick to or effect Gold, Iron and Sulphur will stain it a blackish color. No problem though! Just stick the Gold in 91% Alcohol for a minute and the staining should be gone.

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread