Found a Dragon Jar, Help on Background please!

ashleyj

Feb 15, 2015
New Brunswick
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi,
I was looking through my Mom's cupboards and found this dragon jar, if you know anything about it please let me know. It looks hand-carved. I know it is not a garage sale find, but I thought you guys would still help me out. :tongue3: There is no identifiable markings.

IMG_9269.JPG

IMG_9268.JPG

IMG_9271.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9272.JPG
    IMG_9272.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 146

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I can tell it is hand thrown pottery, with the dragons added later. When I was in Hong Kong I would see lots of small mom and pop stores that sold this type of stuff. It is very Chinese.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought so but I had to ask. Yes it's Chinese, by the style of the dragon and it has 5 toes (Japanese dragons have only 3). The clay is termed redware or terracotta. I'd say it's probably from the early 20th century but it's hard to date Chinese or Asian pottery in general, for me anyway. It's a specific field. Here is one that recently sold on eBay, exactly like yours for $85-

Antique Terracotta Chinese Raised Dragon Relief Vase | eBay

$_57.JPG

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought so but I had to ask. Yes it's Chinese, by the style of the dragon and it has 5 toes (Japanese dragons have only 3). The clay is termed redware or terracotta. I'd say it's probably from the early 20th century but it's hard to date Chinese or Asian pottery in general, for me anyway. It's a specific field. Here is one that recently sold on eBay, exactly like yours for $85-
Great job! You nailed it.

OP
OP
A

ashleyj

Feb 15, 2015
New Brunswick
Primary Interest:
Other

Antique Terracotta Chinese Raised Dragon Relief Vase | eBay

$_57.JPG

Wow thank you, I will tell my mom, that is really helpful!!!

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learn something almost daily here. I now know how to tell the difference between a Chines and Japanese dragon.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learn something almost daily here. I now know how to tell the difference between a Chines and Japanese dragon.

How do you tell the difference between Chinese and Japanese women?

Even many Chinese women can't do that. I have lost track of the amount of times Chinese women came up to my wife and start talking Chinese. Of course she does not understand a word they are saying. My wife is Japanese. ;)

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 toed dragons!

yes, and no. Chinese dragons have anywhere from 3 to 5 toes. 5 toes were reserved for the emperor, 4 for aristocrats and 3 for commoners. After the 1912 revolution, anyone could own or sell an "imperial" 5 toed dragon, and no one wanted less than the imperial 5 toes, so "all" 20th century Chinese dragons had 5 toes. Chinese 4 toed dragons are less common, and more valuable than 5 toed, as they are almost certainly older, and of higher quality. Looking at the pictures of this vase, it has 5 toes, so was made in the 20th century. But the dragon in the vase that sold for $85 on ebay has 4 toes! Check the difference in artistic quality of the dragon sculpture on this page, and the one sold on ebay. I would say the one on ebay is probably more valuable than the one on this page.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread