Small Cubic Zirconia in 18k Pendant???

ashleyj

Feb 15, 2015
New Brunswick
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought a small 18k cross pendant and chain for $5 at my local thrift store, and I brought it to a jeweler to get it appraised because my diamond tester tested the small stones as diamonds, but when I took them to the jeweler, they said it was cz, It just doesn't make sense to me, when my diamond tester touches a cz it doesn't react, but when it touches these stones it does react. They don't even look as sparkly as a fake stone. They are pretty small, who would set 13 cz stones in 18k solid gold? Or do you think the jeweler was crazy? Do you think I should get a second opinion?

DSCF9445.JPG DSCF9456_Fotor.jpg

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2nd opinion sounds good! 18k and cz doesn't make since to me either unless the gold is not real? But if it is , should be diamonds I would think...

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
And if the second opion is what we all think it will be,,Do not go back into the first one.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you by chance have a jewelers loop or good magnifying glass? If so look in the diamond for inclusions and carbon. Carbon self explanatory its black specks, inclusion is an imperfection like a crack etc. These are dead giveaways for diamonds unless its of a higher grade stone. Also just because your diamond tester rang true doesn't mean it's a diamond as there are diamoniques that fool the heat testers we normally use by the way they're cut..the facets are cut in such a way as to allow heat to build up off the reflective surfaces. I worked as a general manager in a pawn shop, was trained to spot the fakes and to know good from great. Go for the second opinion if you can't see what I've referred to. Unusual for fakes to be placed in 18k setting but I've seen it before.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And if the second opion is what we all think it will be,,Do not go back into the first one.
metal_detector.gif
Actually, I would go back to the first and let him (or her know). They might get upset but maybe they will re-examine and learn from it.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly would go back to the first guy because who knows what they're missing or misleading ppl into.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Two weeks ago I scrapped a pair of 18K earrings. They were stuffed with "diamonds". I was sure I hit the mother load. They were CZs. He said, WHO PUTS CZs IN 18K GOLD???? I want to know the same question. they were 100% czs. I scrapped because they were missing a CZ. It wasn't worth it to fix them up to sell them.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the late 80's early 90's when gold was less they marketed the heck out of CZ's mounted in real gold on those home shopping networks. I know this because my wife was always buying the stuff. Years later I was happy to find all that gold jewelry she had amounted to a nice chunk of change when she said she didn't wear the stuff anymore. I took it to the scrap buyers and sold it all. This piece sure does look to be 18K gold imo.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
At an estate sale, by the cash register and jewelry, they had a 1 carat CZ with a Certificate of Authenticity. Wanted $40.00. Thank God for the COA, you wouldn't want to buy a fake of a fake diamond!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread