Thinking about getting a Gold tester... Any suggestions

NWpickin

Aug 27, 2014
Seattle, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting a Electronic Gold tester and was wondering if anyone had advise/suggestions?

I have about 5 shoe boxes full of untested gold colored jewelry.... What would be the most efficient machine/method to test the jewlry? I was thinking I could also use it when I'm in the field picking if it didn't draw to much attention....

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

oroh2o

Mar 10, 2006
Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting a Electronic Gold tester and was wondering if anyone had advise/suggestions?

I have about 5 shoe boxes full of untested gold colored jewelry.... What would be the most efficient machine/method to test the jewlry? I was thinking I could also use it when I'm in the field picking if it didn't draw to much attention....

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I use Mizar electronic tester & it has worked fine for several years. About $129.99, but possibly cheaper on the net. HH

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an auracle. BUT.... To properly test you have to file into the item to accurately test. I've not found much use for it "in the field" when picking. Picking is using your gut instinct to wheel and deal to get a good price. I use only when acid test is inconclusive. But it has paid for itself once or twice.. I paid $500+ for it.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I have a Tri-Electronics GT 3000 and it works just fine for me. It tops out at 18K but that hasn't been an issue. I don't have any basis for comparison to the other brands, or even other models.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I also use a GT-3000. Definitely not something I take with me when I'm picking. I use it to confirm finds & test items that people want an offer on.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides the Oracle mentioned by buzzhead, do you have to file into the metal with any of these other testers? I wouldn't mind owning one, but not if I have to file into my jewelry to test it.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm also interested in hearing from people one these testers. Do they decipher between plated and solid gold?

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the plain old acid and stone test kit.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and don't forget the magnet. If it is magnetic it is not gold. Saves lots of time. Most plate is magnetic

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the acid/stone method now but would like to upgrade to an electronic one. An easy to use one that deciphers plated vs solid. Any suggestions?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and don't forget the magnet. If it is magnetic it is not gold. Saves lots of time. Most plate is magnetic
I wouldn't say most, especially nowadays. I also use acid and a stone, but I'm interested as well in these electronic testers. Mainly whether there is one that doesn't require damaging something for an accurate reading. If you have to file into something to get an accurate reading with these things, then they aren't worth 10 cents in my opinion. I don't need an electronic tester for that.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
An electronic tester can be fooled by heavy plate just like the acid/stone method. I keep an eraser, a jewelers file, a utility knife blade & a safety pin in the box with mine. If an item is engraved I always test over that. On earrings or pins I use the file to make the point sharper & test there. If I'm suspicious of a test I'll rub the eraser where I tested & try again. If it's a really delicate piece I get out the safety pin & "drill" an almost invisible hole in an inconspicuous area. None of those things do as much damage as rubbing a piece of jewelry on a test stone. Truth is I've fooled with enough gold that I'm 99% sure it's fake when I first see it.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
There are two kinds of electronic gold testers - the kind you and I can afford, and the kind we can't. That other kind can tell you what's going on under the surface. All of the ones mentioned here measure the karats on the surface. Because electroplate is so thin, even the infinitesimal amount of gold eroded from the surface during testing will cause successive tests to measure lower and lower karats (%) of gold. That doesn't work on gold-filled,the layer is too thick, so the meter continues to read good in successive tests. For this reason you need to remove a little gold to be sure it's solid gold.
The other kind of gold tester - the one that we can't afford, is called an x-ray fluorescence spectrometer. The trick is to find one of those at a garage sale.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread