Behind the Green Felt

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the TS yesterday I saw an Art Nouveau vase standing among some modern bric a brac and was immediately drawn to it. At first, my thought it was a lamp base but looking inside there was no hole. Turning it over there was a faded and worn green felt pad. For $10 I decided to take a gamble.

At home I removed part of the pad. Immediately a red mark was visible. RStK Turn Teplitz
Bohemia.

Prices for this pottery range from the $100's to $1,000's. I will have to get it appraised.

image.jpg image.jpg

A gilded, glossed, flowered Stellmacher ewer, for example, featuring a curvaceous mermaid-handle, is currently offered for $4,000 on a popular Internet site. A free-form, flowered Stellmacher pitcher featuring a ferocious, golden dragon-handle, commands nearly double.“The most collectible Teplitz pieces of all, however,” notes Stuart Slavid, vice president and director of European Furniture, Decorative Arts and Fine Ceramics at Skinner Auctions, “are those manufactured by the Riessner, Stellmacher and Kessel Amphora Porcelain Works (RStK), which was founded in 1892. RSTK Reissner Stellmacher Kessel Austrian Amphora Pottery -Amphora is the name of a company and the term is often is used to describe the style of art pottery created at that period. Located in Turn-Teplitz, Bohemia (now the Czech Republic), the firm , founded in 1892 by Eduard Stellmacher, Hans and Karl Reissner, and Rudolf Kessel. Eduard’s father Alfred Stellmacher, between 1876 and 1893, established himself as the master creator of decorative ceramics in Turn-Teplitz

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice catch. For $10 it will be a very good score, or an awesome score. Congrats.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Its funny, because when I first came on to this forum, I heard felt bottoms (no pun intended) were the kiss of death.

OP
OP
Lost&Found

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At this TS they put the price stickers over the makers marks and it seems that they do no research on the marks. they price the items by size and not quality of the piece. What made me take a gamble was the wear and age of the felt.

image.jpg

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good call on using felt condition to judge age, I have turned over literal tons art this point of various things with felted bottoms and you don't come across genuine wear like that very often.

OP
OP
Lost&Found

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Near mint condition. Only minor gilt loss on handles. No repairs, chips or cracks. Once I figure the best way to clean it the color should be brighter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread