FIRST ESTATE SALE! Im so excited!!

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
FIRST ESTATE SALE! I'm so excited!!

I've never found estate sales. The one time I did, I went on the second to the last day. I got this email tonight:

Hoarder of Antiques and Collectibles Estate Sale - Estate Sales RichmondEstate Sales Richmond

I called a lady who lives here who used to go to the estate sales. She said to get there at 9. I said maybe I should get there at 8. She said that is too early. she said the dealers show up first, and if they give out numbers, they take 10 of them to let their friends in. However, if I am in line, I can get a number.

What can I expect? I realize it's going to be crazy nuts. I want jewelry, nothing else. Are the prices usually good or will they be comparable to consignment stores? The one I went for them had a 14k cameo brooch that I got for $50.

What advice and tips can you pros give me? ~ Leah

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It says no sign up sheet. I'd be there at 8am myself, but Jewelry is what the hoards will be scavenging over. Down here they turn into complete savages. Grown women throwing elbows and arguing. Be prepared for high prices probably, though there is a lot to choose from it looks like. My advice is look for the stuff that they wouldn't expect to be worth anything, the unassuming. Looks like it may already be be priced out though so all I can say is get there early and good luck. Remember they don't know everything.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The jewelry and watch dealers are always first in line at the estate sales around here. That means something. They all hit that jewelry counter, clog it up, and start looking at pieces. No one else has a chance. No elbows thrown or pushing, though - everyone will see each other at the next sale, so competition is polite. You want to be in that first group of 30. Everything might be retail but it might not - you won't know until you go! No signup sheet means you have to stand in line, not sign up and leave to go to another sale or something, so that's fair.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I HATE ESTATE SALES. At least those around here. The ones that are held by family members are just like huge yard sales. Those run by companies I stay away from. They make commissions on what is sold. So no decent prices. If I accidentally come upon an estate sale and i see people waiting in line or a sign about numbers I am gone. Here they also charge sales tax. I never carry my resale number with me so I can't buy tax free.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on what they say they are selling looks like they will have some high prices. Go for the experience and take your time. My first estate sale where you had to take a number turned out to be an experience, one that I will not do again. In line for hours, a few minutes in the house, was not interested in anything they had. But you never know. Have fun.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Go and have fun. Don't spend more than you can afford to flush down the toilet. However if buying something adds to the pleasure of your day, consider it an entertainment expense. If you KNOW you can turn an absolutely killer profit, buy it. Are you trying to make a job out of this or are you a treasure hunter? Make your own definition of treasure, then don't settle for a "good deal".

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
It was interesting to say the least. Yeah, the dealers were there at midnight and 3am. Sorry. I like sleeping more than a bargain. Got there at 8:20. They did do numbers, I was 35. They were strict about the 30 limit. One out, one in. I went for the gold and silver first. Prices were too high. There was one piece I thought was nice. (I realized later it was worth it, but at that point it was gone.)
I went to the costume jewelry room. OH. MY. GOSH. There is nothing could have prepared me for that! Boxes and boxes and boxes. Women were digging through it. The dealers had already been there, and a few were still there. At first I felt like, forget it, not worth it. Then I moved a few pieces in a box, and pulled up a pair of earrings that were 14K gold. Oh. Yeah, I started digging. Problem was, I got in at 10:50. My daughter had an emergency dentist appt at noon. So I asked if I could leave the bag and come back later. They said that was fine. Came back after 1. (One dealer was STILL there!!) I dug around, and found more stuff. I did pick out a pretty 10K ring for myself, to match a 10K bracelet I bought for myself a few weeks ago. I spent $88; the ring was $55. Necklaces and bracelets were $5. Everything else was $2. Never mind the price tags. Those are the original prices from the lady whose stuff it was. (She was antique dealer.) I'm actually quite pleased with my purchases. I did end up wasted a whole day, but part of that was running to get my daughter, the appt, and running back.
My loot:
2015-03-18 19.35.41.jpg
My ring:
2015-03-18 19.35.54.jpg
I got Miriam Haskell earrings, Weiss earrings, SS earrings, mourning brooch, mosaic brooch, coral necklace, Bogoff bracelet, the dogs head moves up and down. the Sarah Cov pin is a brooch, stick pin, and pendant. I am not sure what the big huge colorful brooch was. It had an interesting back. There is gold filled stuff at the top. Live and learn.
2015-03-18 19.37.38.jpg 2015-03-18 19.37.48.jpg

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Midnight and 3 am? I thought the competition was bad around here! Must not be too many sales in your area for people to be camped out overnight. I'm glad you were able to find a few good pieces. I see several nice brooches. That last brooch is intriguing. I wish I could read the smaller marks inside the rectangular box. Have you sold any of those red coral branch necklaces before? I have a couple and never thought about the value on them. The clasps are threaded screw in type though, not gold filled or anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread