billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another B O L O... Jay Sharp Hammer? (New Pics)

Another weekend, another adventure... We went to a half dozen sales this morning. At an estate sale, I found a 50'+ roll of two conductor, and 40' of 4 conductor (great for 3-way switches for my backyard cabin project's stairway lighting) of #10 solid copper direct burial wire, all for $8.

My wife found some Rhinestone jewelry and a 12.8 gr. 925 silver pendant for $2.50.

At a garage sale outside the city limits, I found an almost new set of sixteen, 1/4" to 2-1/8" diameter Titanium Nitride coated Forstner drill bits (can drill flat bottom holes without going completely through) , an 8"x3/4" heavy brass rod, an antique 30" steel glue clamp, a plastic tackle box full of lures, hooks, and crappie jigs, and an odd looking hammer.... He was firm about wanting $15 for the Forstner set, but he took $30.00 for it and all the rest.....

The roller coaster ride began yesterday afternoon when I cleaned away the heavy dust and light rust from the hammer.... Stamped on the hammer head: " JAY SHARP 1 "

Shayne Carter: Jay Sharp

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2lb-Jay-Sharp-Cross-Pein-Farrier-Hammer-/161544082989?nma=true&si=mrF%252BJyOg69BHRNp1inaOW%252BmvZAs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/J-JAY-SHARP-1-1-2-lb-Cross-Peen-Hammer-Farrier-Horseshoeing-Blacksmith-Tool-/111402765516?nma=true&si=mrF%252BJyOg69BHRNp1inaOW%252BmvZAs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I'd like to find out more about what the number "1" means.

On such a dreary day, it's been quite a learning curve on hammers.... Drizzle and rain hit again at mid morning, but it felt like there was a flash flood of adrenalin yesterday afternoon.... .
emo1.gif

Bill

Last edited:

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a great score on the hammer. I'm pretty sure the number 1 refers to the weight. Notice that the one in the first ebay link is a 2lber and it's stamped Jay Sharp 2.

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score. Something I would have personally missed at an estate sale. Definitely need to keep an eye out for collectible blacksmithing/horseshoeing tools.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. This is good to know. Great find.

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for another great BOLO Bill!

Been trying to get ready for our own garage sale, so I made time tonight to take a few pics.

This hammer cleaned-up pretty well, even though it appears that it was used. The head shows the forging texture on most all of the surface area. The underside of the "cross-pein" was smoothed-out by the maker, but what is interesting is that the metal finish almost has a 3-dimensional “chatoyance” depth to it. The handle was said to be coated with "Tru-Oil"....and must have been respected and loved by the past owner....

Bill

Attachments

• 121.JPG
    121.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 150
  • 123.JPG
    123.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 150
  • 122.JPG
    122.JPG
    407.5 KB · Views: 169
  • 124.JPG
    124.JPG
    359.1 KB · Views: 206
  • 126.JPG
    126.JPG
    296.4 KB · Views: 166
  • 130.JPG
    130.JPG
    344 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tip...and very nice looking hammer. I also learned a new word. Had to look up chatoyance. Thank you.

Chatoyancy can also be used to refer to a similar effect in*woodworking, where certain finishes will cause the*wood grain*to achieve a striking three-dimensional appearance; this can also be called pop-the-grain, wood iridescence, moire, vibrancy, shimmer or glow.[4]

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hammer Update...Oh Yeah!!

Been trying to get ready for our own garage sale, so I made time tonight to take a few pics.

This hammer cleaned-up pretty well, even though it appears that it was used. The head shows the forging texture on most all of the surface area. The underside of the "cross-pein" was smoothed-out by the maker, but what is interesting is that the metal finish almost has a 3-dimensional “chatoyance” depth to it. The handle was said to be coated with "Tru-Oil"....and must have been respected and loved by the past owner....

Bill

UPDATE:

I sold the hammer for $375.00....

By the time I deduct postage, fees, and the $4 cost of the hammer, I cleared $334.00....

Bill

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions