Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd have to look for it, as it's been many years now - though I found an old lure that looked like an airplane, you ever heard of this before?

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plus - went out fishing with my 14 year old son yesterday, he caught a 24 inch large mouth. Not bad for up here in Minnesota.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was given an unopened bag of two bait holders. Not sure what they are or if they are old. Magic bait, wooly treble, bait holder. Funky little things.

cubamex

Apr 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for swimbaits. I'm a bass fisherman and those things are expensive.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely agree on the swimbaits. They are high. I have heard of a few that look like an airplane. One that comes to mind is a luhr Jensen jet diver. Good job to your son, that is a nice fish for sure! Kingskid, that sounds pretty neat. Have you got a picture?

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BAit 001.JPG BAit 002.JPG

Here are what I have

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are for dip bait or other bait like that. Mainly used for catfish, carp, etc. Maybe worth $2

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought a couple reels, one was on a pole the other came out of a box full of reels. The first reel is a Shimano Bantam 100 w/ rosewood handle, this is the second one of these I've found in the past year. I gave the last one to my Son in law along with a Plano Magnum box full of soft baits and lead head jigs for Saltwater. The other reel is a (left handed) Garcia Ambassadeur 5501-3C, it was attached to a cheap Quantum rod. I gave $15 for the pair, they are both very clean, the Garcia looks like it may have never been used or if it was it was only once or twice.

DSC01381.jpg

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought a couple reels, one was on a pole the other came out of a box full of reels. The first reel is a Shimano Bantam 100 w/ rosewood handle, this is the second one of these I've found in the past year. I gave the last one to my Son in law along with a Plano Magnum box full of soft baits and lead head jigs for Saltwater. The other reel is a (left handed) Garcia Ambassadeur 5501-3C, it was attached to a cheap Quantum rod. I gave $15 for the pair, they are both very clean, the Garcia looks like it may have never been used or if it was it was only once or twice.

Very nice. They are both nice reels to fish. I have used both type. The ambassadeur was probably worth about $50 and the bantum may have been worth $50-$100. Either one could go over that or under that depending on the market at that time.

View attachment 1149005 [/QUOTE]

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a really nice fish cubamex. I've never used an airplane jig. They look interesting though.

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429479805.616308.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429479824.258223.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429479838.015220.jpg
Here are some of my fines

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
As long as we are talking fishing gear, I have a few questions. I'm not big into fishing so my knowledge is limited but I am always eager to learn something new. Last Saturday I went to a garage sale where the guy had a whole bunch of fishing stuff for sale. The only piece that stood out to me was fairly large Penn pole with a left-handed Penn Senator reel on it. Both the pole and reel appeared to be in very good condition. He wanted $95 for the rig. That was way too much for my limited knowledge so I didn't even bother to make an offer. So here are my questions:

1. I have seen some Penn Senators sell for pretty high amounts at auctions. Am I correct that there are variants of the Penn Senator with some being much more valuable than others?

2. Is a left-handed reel more or less valuable than a right-handed reel? Obviously, there are fewer left-handed people out there but there are probably fewer left-handed reels as well.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429557484.256583.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429557495.027709.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429557513.704451.jpg
Here's another old tackle box with some lures and old reels I picked up here lately

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as we are talking fishing gear, I have a few questions. I'm not big into fishing so my knowledge is limited but I am always eager to learn something new. Last Saturday I went to a garage sale where the guy had a whole bunch of fishing stuff for sale. The only piece that stood out to me was fairly large Penn pole with a left-handed Penn Senator reel on it. Both the pole and reel appeared to be in very good condition. He wanted $95 for the rig. That was way too much for my limited knowledge so I didn't even bother to make an offer. So here are my questions:

1. I have seen some Penn Senators sell for pretty high amounts at auctions. Am I correct that there are variants of the Penn Senator with some being much more valuable than others?

2. Is a left-handed reel more or less valuable than a right-handed reel? Obviously, there are fewer left-handed people out there but there are probably fewer left-handed reels as well.
It depends on the model (size) of the Reel. Generally, the heavier the gear, the more it costs, when it comes to saltwater equipment. There are many different models of Penn Senator's, they have been made for many years. Hemingway probably used one, lol. The 6/0 is a common size seen at sales around here, if that's what it was then it was definitely too much to pay for resale. Right handed or left handed value differences, I don't think it matters unless it's a collectible/antique reel, then the lefties command more, especially antique fly reels.

Old_Okie

Jun 14, 2007
Magic Bait is a catfish bait. Your bait holders on treble hook are what you use to fish it.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Magic Bait is a catfish bait. Your bait holders on treble hook are what you use to fish it.

Lol- I don't need any special bait to catch catfish all I do is go fishing for anything else and that's all I catch all night long is catfish! Pretty much why I gave up fishing I'm so sick of catching catfish every time I go. But that was in the ocean so there's a pond by my house I went fishing I caught nothing so I left the nightcrawler out on the line overnight thinking maybe a bass will find it or something. The next day... A huge CATFISH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread