Georg Jenson sterling flatware set

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here it is. Service for eight with 2 Sterling Gorham spoons as well. I don't know the weight yet or the pattern I have to look it up still but I paid $1000 for them.

image-1664203054.jpg

image-2815343550.jpg

image-2715811081.jpg

image-2214234758.jpg

image-3493934659.jpg

image-434548745.jpg

I actually don't think it's a complete set I think there's a couple of the larger spoons messing but I'm not really sure they might just be serving spoons. This is why we do yard sales!!

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the pattern is Acanthus. Cool find but I would've probably passed because of the price. It does look like they sell pretty good though.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll do just fine at that price. I would have taken that deal because of the maker alone. If it was a run of the mill set of sterling flatware then not so much, depending on the weight. What is the breakdown and total number of pieces?

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are 56 pieces total. Two of them being carving set. Two are larger serving spoons of the egg corn design.

image-1144490181.jpg

And then two additional pieces not included in the 56 are gorham

image-3522745755.jpg

So there are 58 pieces total.

There was some jewelry as well (some of that needs to be checked first though)

Attachments

• image-101114207.jpg
    image-101114207.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 85

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did outstanding on a grand for all that.:thumbsup:

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see 78 pieces went for $4000 on ebay. Even if you double your money, you still got an excellent deal. Nice score!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Thanks! There's a good chance I'm going to separate it though. Sell it by kind. Like the spoons and knives and forks all and sets of eight

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jensen will fetch a premium but just a reminder, Acanthus and Acorn patterns iare 2 of the most common so try to wheel and deal for a lower price next time. I'm not knocking your find and the price is good but now you will know for next time. They are worth money but don't fetch as high a price as designs like Blossom or Akkeleje.

I've been collecting his stuff for quite a while and mostly focus on the cuff links since my dress shirts all require them. The logo is the key to dating them which will help you in determining what to pay. A lot of his designs are well over 80+ years old yet many are still made to this day. The older ones have greater collector value then the contemporary stuff. Your mark was used post 1945 so it's a pretty broad window for production

I've got a few book on Jensen silver and I can say the produced some beautiful, elegantly modern stuff and some designs that would make space aliens hold their noses for being too futuristic.

You can always buy a book or do some reading online but will a little reading will go a long way.

Btw, I am jealous. I might have 6-7 pieces of flatware in my collection but my selection of cuff links/ women's jewelry is something to admire.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jensen will fetch a premium but just a reminder, Acanthus and Acorn patterns iare 2 of the most common so try to wheel and deal for a lower price next time. I'm not knocking your find and the price is good but now you will know for next time. They are worth money but don't fetch as high a price as designs like Blossom or Akkeleje. I've been collecting his stuff for quite a while and mostly focus on the cuff links since my dress shirts all require them. The logo is the key to dating them which will help you in determining what to pay. A lot of his designs are well over 80+ years old yet many are still made to this day. The older ones have greater collector value then the contemporary stuff. Your mark was used post 1945 so it's a pretty broad window for production I've got a few book on Jensen silver and I can say the produced some beautiful, elegantly modern stuff and some designs that would make space aliens hold their noses for being too futuristic. You can always buy a book or do some reading online but will a little reading will go a long way. Btw, I am jealous. I might have 6-7 pieces of flatware in my collection but my selection of cuff links/ women's jewelry is something to admire.

Thanks for the information. As soon as I saw it I knew I was going to buy it. I knew the name was good and Granted I paid what the scrap value is worth pretty much. But have no intentions of scrapping it. I would like to keep it but I really don't need to either, at least if I did I'd rather have paid less for it. But tunnel vision can be a huge factor sometimes. I flipped it over saw the name about fell over and said how much! $1000? Sold! Lol. I figured it had to be pretty rare but looking on eBay there seems to be a lot of it online.

To be honest though even finding out that is not a more viable set, I would probably still buy it again. Worst case scenario is I don't mind keeping it either. I will probably start separating it out here shortly after I feeling polishing it. Thank you very much for your help. His name is not something I see very often. I think before this I only had one piece of jewelry ever and I don't recall what it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread