hehe, great GW jar!

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Last week I was finally out on a Thursday evening. There is one GoodWill that always puts out jars around 6-7 Thursday night. That is usually dinner time in my house. I haven't gotten a jar from there in at least 4 months. So I hit the store, and they had like 8 jars! BUT, they were mostly junk. There were 3 with interesting things. One had what I thought was a 14K pendant (it was). So those were all $45.
After I paid and got ready to leave, I noticed one jar I missed ... this little teeny tiny jar, uh, FULL OF GOLD! They only wanted $250 for it. Snap. I paid $210 with my 20% off coupon. There were 3 tie tacks that I knew would pay for the jar. What did it have? One vintage 14K white gold diamond pendant. 3 14K gold tie takes. Several pairs of earrings. 1 Michael Anthony cross with a diamond, 14K, that happened to be sitting on a nice, heavy 18K long box chain. There was more. But those were best pieces. Whoo hoo. I am so stoked! I love that they pull the stuff out. There was another pendant in another one of my $45 jars that was 18K! (no pic of that one)

2015-05-07 19.55.17.jpg 2015-05-07 19.55.28.jpg
2015-05-07 19.55.36.jpg 2015-05-07 19.55.44.jpg

2015-05-07 20.09.49.jpg
2015-05-07 22.48.20.jpg

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
Ok so how did u know this jar was going to be all solid gold? Seems like a big risk lol someone could have stole that too... U go here often it seems with I had some special jars like that at my gw lol

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The stuff that was taped to the outside was gold. So said the manager, who made the jar. Now, one of the rings that she claims was 14K, wasn't. It was 8k. BUT, like I said, I knew those pins were. The pendant was also. She said she didn't know if the stones were diamonds or not. (They are.) The stuff at the bottom was plated, which I figured it was. As a bonus, one of the chains was not 14, it was 18. I knew I couldn't lose because of those three tie tack pins. I think they weigh over 5 grams combined. They keep them locked up in a cabinet right by the cash registers. It was a risk. BUT, they know me. If I had brought it back because most of the stuff was not gold, they would have probably given me my money back. I once did have an issue where they swore up and down a chain was gold. It wasn't. 3 weeks later, I spoke with the manager of that GW, and she said right away to bring it back, even though it was past the 7 day limit. I guess that is the good part about going to the stores frequently?

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
Wow I am in with a good salvation army store but no returns whatsoever. So Idk you have a nice hookup there

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so how did u know this jar was going to be all solid gold? Seems like a big risk lol someone could have stole that too... U go here often it seems with I had some special jars like that at my gw lol

Now why would someone donate stolen jewelry to a Goodwill? I doubt that that the whole lot came from one donor either.

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
Yea from the gw but you did say it was behind the counter... Seems wild they know what they have and price it that high. My store just misses the gold and let's me buy it dirt cheap :)

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
One time this had this 18K gold brooch. Same deal. It was in a little jar, taped up. I said, how is someone supposed to buy this if they can't hold it? They brought the manager out, he un-taped it, and then watched as I looked it over. The thing was marked $800. No way was it worth that. Not as a piece of jewelry, not as scrap. They claimed they looked it up, and that is what it is goes for. Bwahaha! No markings, other than 750. Maybe people ASK that, but no way do they get that. They did sell it to some sucker. Maybe when it went half price? IDK. I find they are either crazy over priced, or ridiculously under-priced. I prefer the latter, obviously. :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread