Ronson Deco Silver (?) bookends need Hallmark ID

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked these up recently for a decent price.

They have an "Ovington's New York" sticker on the bottom. This store carried Ronson, Frankart, etc.

Googling "Ronson Reading Nude Bookends" yields several nearly identical examples. However, mine are a little different from those I've been able to find online:

- They're heavier (an impressive 5lb 6oz EACH for 9-inch high figures)

- they have a metallic base

- they appear more detailed than the other examples

- they have hallmarks stamped into the back (JB 80 36, JB 30 36 or JB BO 36... hard to tell)

Can't find any others with that particular hallmark - could these be a master sculpture that was licensed by Ronson/Ovington's? Could the "80" in the hallmark indicate 80% silver? these factors would explain the seemingly better detail.

Any deco experts out there?
IMG_9443.JPG IMG_9444.JPG IMG_9445.JPG IMG_9446.JPG IMG_9447.JPG IMG_9448.JPG IMG_9449.JPG IMG_9450.JPG

OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ronson Original Art Deco Nude Lady Reading Statue Bookends | eBay

These are the closest I've been able to find. Seller says they are over 5lbs, and these have the same base.

These have been painted over, but still no sign of the hallmarks or the ridged details on the book. Very thick paint might cover both, but since I don't see evidence of mine having ever been painted, I still suspect they're another variation of this model.

Here is a very inferior-seeming cast of the same statue with a nicer base and some Ronson branding:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RONSON-1937...516?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d589a153c

It's been getting bid up pretty fast, good news for me. Though I really want to figure out my hallmarks before listing.

EDIT:

http://www.rubylane.com/item/913522-379/Beautiful-Vintage-Collector-Bronze-Art-Deco
Another example, closer still, but no hallmarks, and no paint for them to hide under...

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My two cents... I think those are a pretty rare pair of Jenning's Brothers bookends, hence the JB mark. Probably from the 1930's. Also, they are silverplated not solid sterling. Some examples- jennings brothers bookends | Antiques (CA) and 20th Century bookends by Jennings Brothers

The JB and hallmarking are consistent with Jenning's Brothers for sure. The Ronson examples are definitely based on the same master sculpture. Nothing really close in the Jennings department so far... they seemed pretty shy about the nudes.

Maybe Jenning's commissioned this artist and got gun shy about the nudity, then licensed the master sculpture to Ronson who were known for nudes? If so, these probably are rare. Thanks for the starting point. This will drive me crazy, haha

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
The JB and hallmarking are consistent with Jenning's Brothers for sure. The Ronson examples are definitely based on the same master sculpture. Nothing really close in the Jennings department so far... they seemed pretty shy about the nudes.

Maybe Jenning's commissioned this artist and got gun shy about the nudity, then licensed the master sculpture to Ronson who were known for nudes? If so, these probably are rare. Thanks for the starting point. This will drive me crazy, haha

Welcome to the looney bin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread