Appraisal value compared to sales value?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And probably varies per item I would assume. But I have a piece of jewelry appraised today and it came at $10,200 for the set. I know that's replacement value should it be stolen but at what amount would you hope to get for something appraised that high? The appraiser said shoot for. 50-80% of the value. Does that seem high? I have never sold anything that had an appraised value before.

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its a little high. I'd be happy with 1/3 to 1/2 appraisal value. Unless you're selling in a retail store I wouldn't expect those prices.

S

stefen

Appraisal values based on prior sales are usually legit.

Appraisal I've seen on Antique Road Show, are usually high if the appraiser states they have never seen nor have anything to offer due to lack of investigative research.

A seller can ask whatever they want...always look for the actual purchase price.

From experience, several years ago my wife found a Victorian diamond ring hidden in our (Victorian) home. It was appraised by 3 different jewelers, with a range between $8000 to $12000. So we tried to sell the ring thru another dealer, who laughed her head off. So now my wife wears the ring on special occasions. Hey, the price was right.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's this set:

image-250018158.jpg

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most jewelers will offer replacement and "fair market value" appraisals. Ignore replacement for anything but insurance.

Fair market is generally the retail estate value in a jewelry store. Varies based on your location.

On ebay we generally realize between 30% and 75% of FMV as appraised.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Most jewelers will offer replacement and "fair market value" appraisals. Ignore replacement for anything but insurance.

Fair market is generally the retail estate value in a jewelry store. Varies based on your location.

On ebay we generally realize between 30% and 75% of FMV as appraised.

I think you are right on about the 30% on eBay for many items! However, certain items as you eluded to, can and will fetch 50%, 75% or even more of their' appraised value depending on what they are, their uniqueness, their rarity, their eye appeal and often, their age or period (i.e. Victorian, Art Deco, Art Noveau, etc., etc.) but also due to which eBay markets to which you will sell. If you only sell Domestically and Canada which generally has a huge customer base, you are still missing out on a much larger and more diverse customer base from the rest of the world. When I sell on eBay, I generally sell worldwide unless the items are very heavy like some of my' Sculptures or there are prohibitions to shipping the item to certain countries. When you sell worldwide, you have to be aware of all of the prohibitions to shipping certain items to certain countries and not sell to anyone in those specific countries. I know it is a pain but sometimes it is worth the trouble to research this information and sell to all of the countries that you can!

Frank

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this a written appraisal or just a verbal thing? I'd shoot for 50% myself. That's usually about what something's actual worth is when compared to an "insurance" appraisal. If you offer this globally, be careful to make them pay for the correct shipping and insurance to cover your butt. Global Express Guaranteed only insures up to $2499.00, so two separate packages would need to be used and insured for the value of your item/s. It'll probably cost you a couple hundred or so to ship it globally, insured, that's just a wild guess though.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Is this a written appraisal or just a verbal thing? I'd shoot for 50% myself. That's usually about what something's actual worth is when compared to an "insurance" appraisal. If you offer this globally, be careful to make them pay for the correct shipping and insurance to cover your butt. Global Express Guaranteed only insures up to $2499.00, so two separate packages would need to be used and insured for the value of your item/s. It'll probably cost you a couple hundred or so to ship it globally, insured, that's just a wild guess though.

Very good points and especially so on the shipping and Insurance costs for shipping items overseas! I have only sold a few items of which the Insurance costs were very high due to the value and final bid price on the items. At request from customers in Germany and Australia, I edited some auctions to allow folks in those countries to bid on some of my' items and while the Insurance costs were high, the shipping costs of a nearly 35 pound Amethyst Sphere (Ball) to Germany was more than the final bid price for it. Luckily, the customer was willing to pay the price because they knew that an Amethyst Sphere of that size and weight is rare and worth ten times or more than what they paid for the item including the shipping and the Insurance!

I would also shoot for 50% on the item that the O.P. is selling in a "Reserve Price" and hope that the right bidders are viewing and bidding on the item and that they will take it higher than the Reserve Price!

Frank

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my experience diamonds have a wholesale value of about 10% (or less) of their appraised value. You can get more if sold to end buyers. However what you have here is something different and I'm sure has collector value as well as precious metal/stone value.

I'd recommend a respected fine jewelry auctioneer. They would take 20%, but they will advertise it and get it in front of the right buyers. You could put it up on eBay, but for the kind of money you're talking I wouldn't risk it. In the right auction there is no reason it couldn't meet or even exceed the appraised value.

Edit:

Did you ever find the maker? A big auction house would also do the research.

Here are a couple results of jewelry sets from the BIG house:
Over estimate: http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...3934&sid=83d1a5c9-3e5b-411d-b347-7dc286e90803
Met estimate: http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...3813&sid=5f8fcf72-35ae-4de8-9c5a-4185a7ec503a

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. I will look into it some more and read up on some other auction sites as well. It came with a six page booklet breaking down every type of stone by size quality color weight etc. Then each piece is done separately as well. So the bracelet was estimated $5500. The pendant was $2200 and the earrings for $2500.

I stuck them up on eBay really quick last night I will probably upgrade the photos through Auctivia later on when I get a chance to do so.

Does anyone have any experience through another auction house besides eBay?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions