Bad for business

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just went to a place to have them look at some pieces of jewelry I have. I wanted to see what they would offer for the group. I have sold to this guy in the past and his prices have been very competitive and made it worthwhile not selling them on eBay due to the time to sell it and the fees and everything. I would just sell to him.

Here's a quick picture of what I took in. the tennis bracelet has an offer of $400 right now.

image-3279947795.jpg

Signs that things might not be going well:

1- The father and son are arguing about putting gas in the tank of the car. He was mad that his son put gas in the car to take it to go to a house. He put $15 in. Dad was not happy.

2- they were very rude. It seemed like I was bothering them by coming in there. They did not act like they have the time to deal with me.

3- their cases were almost empty. Most of the fine jewelry was gone.bAnd the cases were full of costume jewelry.

4- he told me all my stuff was garbage. I didn't know that 14 K jewelry with diamonds is considered garbage. They were junk stones, was not much gold and not worth his time.

So I won't be going back there. I don't know what happened. I didn't ask and I wasn't going to but I felt like I was treated poorly. Which stinks because I always enjoyed going in there and talking to them and sold them several items in the past. And I have even sent others there to sell things I wasn't interested in as well.

My jeweler is moving out of the area. My other buyer of nicer things is going in the crapper. All I have left is you guys!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It sounds like the Jeweler or whatever his' profession is and his family are going through some very difficult financial times! It does not help his' business seeing that he has taken on a bad attitude with folks selling items as this likely has crossed over into his sales to customers as well. Just from the sound of what you wrote, I would say that his' business will be closing soon and they will have to move onto something else. No matter what happens, we (the folks on Treasurenet) will do what we can to help!

Frank

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Yeah sounds like someone was just about out of business, sold off the good stuff to pay the bills, and had nothing left afterwards.
Costume stuff was for some quick nickle and dime sales. That were needed badly. And couldn't afford your stuff.

I'd have rather had the guy tell the truth then how he handled it. Maybe a good thing he did as he did, you won't be back, neither will others I bet.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know I hope he gets it worked out whatever the problem was. They deal with a lot of stuff besides jewelry though and maybe they just have too much money in other items. Really in the situation it makes selling on eBay a lot better option. I don't know if they do or not but if they don't and they go out of business unless they auction everything out by a company they will probably end up on eBay anyways.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No wonder they are going out of business (and if they aren't they soon will be). Sounds like a couple of real professionals. :icon_scratch: From now on make sure you don't send anyone to them. Doing so may make you look bad in the long run.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I say open up your own shop and put a big We Buy Gold sign outside. Then wait for it to come to you!

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be that the past positive conversations you've had with the people gave them information about your finds? Now that the economy is continuing its slowing, and disposable income is lower, his operating margins are not enough for business and family needs. Now, there may be some resentment of your successful abilities to come up with quality and quantity at low costs. He's mad at your success and des's your gold by calling it what he did.

I'd stay away and keep some distance, then "maybe" give him a call in a few weeks or more...or let him call you. Get your cash while you can get it and use it on current needs. If states like Texas keep flooding where they can't plant this year's crop on time, and California stays dry, food price increases and supply shortages may cause even more stress on family members and individuals trying to make ends meet. Middle income small business are closing up.... His business may do the same by closing so many days a week in hopes to reopen full time in the Fall for the approaching holiday season when money flows better.

You know times are getting tough for the "good guys", and the "Bad Guys", when the small town newspaper has front page news of "The Dollar General" getting broken into... It Actually Happened and in today's paper!!

Bill

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never really gotten that much into hey I paid nothing for this. Will you give me 80% or 90% of what it's worth? I don't know he was seriously upset with his kid about putting money in the gas tank.

Not to mention, I mean he does buy scrap gold for a living. I don't think anybody's taking him anything that they've paid $200 for and selling him something he offers $100 for. that seems crazy. I'll give them a couple weeks and maybe go back. I mean last time I went in there I got $20 a gram for gold. And had 100 grams. If he's still there...

I was going to mail it to the refinery anyways but walked into see what they offered and didn't really hesitate. But I mean it could be something like an unexpected death or medical bill. Really anything I don't think I'll never go back maybe I just caught them on a bad day. I did ask how much on one of the rings separately and he said either all or nothing he wasn't interested in buying just one. It wasn't worth his time. I would drive 10 miles out of my way to buy one thing if I could double down. But honestly it seemed like a completely different store when I went in there today.

I've never had my own business so I can't complain too much about how to run things. However I didn't feel like today was worth going there definitely had different experience from the past visits. And they were obviously fighting before I walked in the door.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they were obviously fighting before I walked in the door.
Regardless, personal matters are not something that any business should be discussing while customers are in the store. Makes them look bad and it's very unprofessional. Not to mention degrading your items. Your a nicer guy than me. I would have let him know how I felt about his "attitude" towards me and my jewelry. I would have also mentioned that I won't be sending him any more business either. He doesn't deserve it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread