Mine cut diamond ring

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know anything about these? For instance it's in the original box. But the diamond does not ring on my diamond tester? Would it ring normal even though the cut is not smooth and it's all frosted over? The box says diamonds on it I suppose someone could've had it switched out? I know that mine cut ones are pretty rough looking and don't have a lot of value but I was wondering if anybody knows anything about them if they test the same way anyways? Thanks!

image-4185814372.jpg

image-1578117469.jpg

image-1368899115.jpg

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had some mine cut diamonds and they ring on my diamond tester as real

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had some mine cut diamonds and they ring on my diamond tester as real

Okay then mine is fake. Thank you. At least the gold was real and it's only five dollars so that's good to know. I'll try to get $50 out of it still. I mean with the original box it might be worth 50 bucks maybe. It's almost 2 grams. Thank you very much for your time.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am reluctant to post because you clearly know so much more about jewelry than I do. However in the late90's I worked at a pawn shop. Some of the most expensive diamonds I ever saw were "old mine cut" So I don't understand why they don't have a lot of value?

You can probably tell from a loupe. In the late 90s the diamond testers were terrible with that setting would have thrown my tester back then. I hope they have improved. They can also recut and polish the old diamonds. Back then our most reliable test was to fog it up with our breath. Diamonds don't stay fogged up long at all. Everything else seems to. I know that is not very technical but it seemed more reliable than the diamond tester sometimes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am reluctant to post because you clearly know so much more about jewelry than I do. However in the last 90's I worked at a pawn shop. Some of the most expensive diamonds I ever saw were "old mine cut" So I don't understand why they don't have a lot of value? You can probably tell from a loupe. In the late 90s the diamond testers were terrible with that setting would have thrown my tester back then. I hope they have improved. They can also recut and polish the old diamonds. Back then our most reliable test was to fog it up with our breath. Diamonds don't stay fogged up long at all. Everything else seems to. I know that is not very technical but it seemed more reliable than the diamond tester sometimes.

Thank you for your information. I know very little about diamonds. In fact I only know that if my tester goes off that they're good. That's it. I didn't go to college so me learning this stuff is the only shot I have it really make a future for myself and my family.

I would hope that you or anyone else who feels like me or anyone else knows more and that would discourage you from posting anything in the future would not worry about that. I know just as much as the next guy. I would love to take the time to train anybody to teach them for that matter on anything that I do. Or that I have learned. Please don't ever feel like I know more and it's not worth posting because there's so much to learn about this hobby and trade and business or whatever that I will never learn unless you do post it.

I would love to have the experience of working at a pawnshop. If they didn't have those stupid waivers that you have to sign so you don't compete with them I would do that. I have no intentions of competing with them but I have no intentions of signing a contract either. Everything I have learned has been self-taught. Until I found this website. In fact I think I've learned more here in the last year that I have on my own in the last five.

Please so I encourage you, don't feel like not posting something. Because there's something you know about that I don't or somebody else doesn't. And there's somebody else starting off who needs to know the information you have as well! That's what were all here for anyways, I think. Thank you very much for your time and have a good night!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I am reluctant to post because you clearly know so much more about jewelry than I do. However in the late90's I worked at a pawn shop. Some of the most expensive diamonds I ever saw were "old mine cut" So I don't understand why they don't have a lot of value?

You can probably tell from a loupe. In the late 90s the diamond testers were terrible with that setting would have thrown my tester back then. I hope they have improved. They can also recut and polish the old diamonds. Back then our most reliable test was to fog it up with our breath. Diamonds don't stay fogged up long at all. Everything else seems to. I know that is not very technical but it seemed more reliable than the diamond tester sometimes.

I agree that some old Mine Cut Diamonds are sometimes very expensive and they are also sometimes very high grade or quality! However, it depends on the Cutter who cut them and some were really bad cuts and polish jobs. I have owned Rings with Mine Cut Diamonds and seen many more. If the stone in the ring is a Diamond and is really as rough as it appears in the pic, there is no way that it will show up good on a Diamond tester. Due to the roughness of the stone, the Diamond Tester is unable to measure the heat transference through it.

Frank

Last edited:

jochart

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
definitely take that stone to a GIA certified jeweler and get it appraised

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can try to scratch a piece of glass with it or if you can take your 10 loop and look for any imperfections inside the diamonds indicate if it's real or not and if you have a black light you can hold it under the black light I'd say about 75% of diamonds out there are fluorescent they will glow underneath the black light when I get off work I believe I have one I can take a picture of it underneath the black light and show you

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. I will put it in the box to have it checked on the weekends! That is one downfall to having your jeweler being at the flea market. They're only there on Friday Saturday and Sunday!

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a nice little box too, looks like Keith & mcchesney were around in the 1900s, and found some newspaper ads from the 1920s too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread