Any thimble experts out there?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this this weekend. It is Sterling looks to have a English crown on it maybe? Does anyone deal with this stuff and have any idea what the symbol might mean. I guess it could be a family design as well. I'm really not sure about this one. Was going to list it with a starting bid of $80. Might seem high but some of them go for a couple hundred so thought I would try it. Anyways here's a couple photos:

Also for you all who don't know, they also make 14 and 10 K gold thimbles . I always check the sewing stuff when they have it out for thimbles!
{Also class buttons. You can make a lot of money off of us buttons} here are the photos...

image-1737558775.jpg

image-3885415473.jpg

image-333009600.jpg

image-2159745739.jpg

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first question would be, is it hallmarked and if so what and where are they? Also, check it with a magnet, many of them had steel coated caps (inside) to prevent piercings and later Dorcas made them with an all steel core coated with silver or gold.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I don't see any hallmarks on it. It does test for Sterling but the only markings I see are in the center underneath the crown or inside of the image attached underneath the crown. Somebody did email me and tell me that the thing is Portuguese not English.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I don't see any hallmarks on it. It does test for Sterling but the only markings I see are in the center underneath the crown or inside of the image attached underneath the crown. Somebody did email me and tell me that the thing is Portuguese not English.
Kudos to them. I don't know of it's made in Portugal but it does portray the old style Portuguese coat of arms. This symbol was used between 1830 and 1910 it looks like- Flag of Portugal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have three old sterling thimbles and one 14K I picked up here and there. I'd also say Portugal is where yours came from. There is a thread up in the daily finds I think where metal detector folks are posting their thimble finds. Some of the very old ones from the 14th and 15th century they find in Europe can be valuable and worth some good money. I've sold a few thimble on ebay, but never got anything over a hundred bucks on any. I've been starting to hoard some of these things I pick up lately and I keep buying anything under valued it seems. I'm getting get'n to junkie for junk. Every now and then I'll look at some of it and then list a few things, just to see how much I get out of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread