billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to a garage sale several weekends ago, in a housing area with homes 30' apart, this folding table was placed out by the curb with "Free" taped to it.... so, I stopped..... ;>) It's missing the plastic edge banding, but here's this weekend's newest antique tool finds on this table's top.

Saturday morning there was a community sale just outside of town. I found some industrial and hand tools I've never seen before. One is a triple auger bit gearbox used to make pocket mortises in one pass. Look at the age of those auger bits' design... The large screwdriver is another; it's the largest one I've ever seen.... The tools are in above average condition, have been wire-brushed, and then spray-sealed with a light dust coat of Lacquer.

When I first saw them, I picked out and bought ten of them for what the owners said they wanted: $50 We quickly left to look at other homes.....then, I began to think about what was left behind, so I went back and bought the remaining seven for $30. That's seventeen for less than $5 each! Most of these are "Keepers" for the workshop wall. A long pry bar has a 1901 pat. date and the Cherry wood level is a Stanley "Sweetheart" logo only made between 1925-29.... Then, my wife asked me if I saw the parking meter at the tool place, and because the adrenalin was gushing through my body, I said no. So we went back a third time, to the same house, and bought the parking meter from Alexandra, Louisiana for $5.....it works.

Saturday afternoon, went back to the flea market Saturday afternoon. Mixed attendance as the storms and rain kept away a lot of vendors. I walked passed a vendor selling nothing but used Sterling jewelry. All kinds. Sterling's worth is currently about .50 cents a gram. He had a lot of lookers and some buyers as I stood and watch. He, and his "Middle School Age" daughter had their jewelry scales weighing each piece when people wanted to know how much it cost. He was charging $2.00 a gram.

Due to her knee surgery, my wife waited in the pickup as I walked the flea market that I had already taken in on Friday afternoon. So, on the way back to our parking spot, I stopped at another vendor and looked through a large basket with jewelry in baggies. Managed to find Silver for her. A Sterling hinged bangle bracelet w/thin safety chain in a baggie was marked a $1. It weighs 11.5 grams.
emo1.gif

Beginning last Thursday morning, it's been a 4-Day weekend of all different kinds of treasure.....

Bill

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    628.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    555.5 KB · Views: 157
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    323.6 KB · Views: 183
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    353.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    578 KB · Views: 145
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    567.5 KB · Views: 149

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some nice finds Bill, I'm surprised no one else has commented yet. This forum is getting (how should I put it?)a little "lackadaisical" lately, to say the least. The parking meter is way cool and must be an older one since it has a single slot for pennies and nickels. Great restoration project for someone. What do you think the slots in that big screwdriver are for, anything or nothing at all? I like that little crate hammer too. What's that t handled probe thing?

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some nice finds Bill, I'm surprised no one else has commented yet. This forum is getting (how should I put it?)a little "lackadaisical" lately, to say the least. The parking meter is way cool and must be an older one since it has a single slot for pennies and nickels. Great restoration project for someone. What do you think the slots in that big screwdriver are for, anything or nothing at all? I like that little crate hammer too. What's that t handled probe thing?

The "T-thing" has one cutting edge all along its taper. It's a Cooper's tool in barrel making from making bung holes. Holes varied in size according to the width of the barrel staves so they wouldn't bore into the side seams and make the hole leak. It drills various size "bung" holes and tapers them for a tapered wooden plug.

What was uncommonly kind of the husband is that after I'd asked if they had any "Guy Things" or old tools I need to hang on my workshop wall, he took me into their backyard and inside his workshop that had bare stud walls. I'm a stranger. But, he got his 6' step ladder and began handing down to me all these tools that were hanging on various nails sticking out of the wall stud edges. high up on a 10' wall. He laughed and said, "I'm into metalworking, not woodworking. You'll have to talk to my wife as for as how much she'll want for these."

I couldn't buy the metal pipe and 1/4" thick metal plate base, and a can of spray paint, for $5 to make the base of the Parking meter. When I went back, that 'third time', and a half hour later, I was glad to see the parking meter still there and laughed at how I missed seeing it.... I had to "double check" the price just to be sure my wife saw the round sticker was really $5. When I began talking to the sale's husband and wife about needing old tools to hang on my workshop wall, it made a connection. After paying a $5 bill for the parking meter, I told the lady that we've have a niece expecting their first child and since the niece is an "Artsy" creative type person, the meter was for a "Piggy Bank" for the new baby....

Although it's a fine edge to balance on, telling a seller why you want something, just these sellers' knowing the items were going for something 'personal' took the edge of being afraid to sell things too low. After the adrenalin rush settles down, it's the goodness found in the new people you meet that enriches this garage-sale hobby!

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! I find that I buy more old tools than I should, mostly because I buy them without knowing what they are! That folding ruler should be good for $30 or so, the tri-fold ones are significantly harder to find than the single joint ones.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "T-thing" has one cutting edge all along its taper. It's a Cooper's tool in barrel making from making bung holes. Holes varied in size according to the width of the barrel staves so they wouldn't bore into the side seams and make the hole leak. It drills various size "bung" holes and tapers them for a tapered wooden plug.

Although it's a fine edge to balance on, telling a seller why you want something, just these sellers' knowing the items were going for something 'personal' took the edge of being afraid to sell things too low. After the adrenalin rush settles down, it's the goodness found in the new people you meet that enriches this garage-sale hobby!

I was actually talking about the long skinny pointed rod next to the wooden level in photo 2.

They sound like good, down to earth people. That's an endangered specie down here for the most part. Lots of rude, crude, self absorbed, disrespectful people living on South Florida's east coast, unfortunately. The ultimate rat race, ugghh!

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was actually talking about the long skinny pointed rod next to the wooden level in photo 2.

They sound like good, down to earth people. That's an endangered specie down here for the most part. Lots of rude, crude, self absorbed, disrespectful people living on South Florida's east coast, unfortunately. The ultimate rat race, ugghh!

Digg,

I see which one you are asking about. I've not seen one this long before, but I have a few of the 6" lengths. It's a Gimlet drill bit that was used with one hand to twist-drill a hole. They made sets of this style bit for the old early English wooden braces, and steel drill braces, too. I found this:

Unusual 18" Long Gimlet Drill BIT 5 16" Diameter | eBay

Bill

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are some nice finds Bill, I'm surprised no one else has commented yet. This forum is getting (how should I put it?)a little "lackadaisical" lately, to say the least.

Yes... I don't know how many more pieces of jewelry I care to look at. Boring.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions