Selling photography equipment

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Way back in the day when I used to make boutique girls clothes, I got a good DSLR camera with a ton of equipment. It has been sitting for a few years now. I used it maybe 5 times in the last few years. I want to sell it. I know selling it online to like Adoroma, or any of the other photo sites, will get me 1/4 of what I can really get for it. Do I try to sell these on ebay? Craigslist? I believe I have all the originally packaging in the attic. (I'm a packrat in that sense.)

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Photography equipment is like computer stuff. It becomes obsolete fairly quickly and only a few favored nostalgic pieces actually increase in value. A "good " DSLR camera may not be worth a whole lot but the lenses could be. For example, any lens that fits the Canon EOS film camera is still perfectly useable on the latest Canon DSLRs. There is some other brand. (Pentax, Olympus?) where all the lenses are compatible. And what kind of accessories? I'm always on the lookout for cheap and easy staging, lighting, and tripods that let me position the camera in ways that I could never do with bare hands. Somebody is looking for that kind of equipment.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I just checked on Ebay, and the body is not doing too shabby. It's a Nikon D90. I will probably break up the lenses and sell them all separately. (and the flashes. My daughter in law took the good tri-pods. She is just getting into photography, and I begged her to take the stuff. But her teacher said to get a Canon, so that is what she bought.)

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Your idea of "back in the day" and "good" are different than mine. I thought you were talking about a 3mp or 5mp camera, not 12mp. And not a Nikon, which is always #1 or #2 in popularity. I'm a Canon guy myself, but only because I couldn't afford Nikon. I'm sure you'll do well.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old film photo gear (pending what you have) sells alright on ebay I've found. I've bought and resold some from time to time if I can get it for a good price.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Nikon equipment in good condition sells well. Nikon was one of the few manufacturers who did not change the lens mounts when they started producing digital cameras. Of course, electronic controls on newer cameras won't work with old lenses but you can still put an Nikon lens from an old film camera on a Nikon digital body. However, you will have to manually adjust your f-stops and focus. With the Canons, lenses from late model film cameras with EOS (Electronic Operating System) will work on the digital cameras. My daughter is big into photography. She has a Canon T3 digital SLR. I have found a few lenses from Canon EOS film cameras that work just fine on her T3. You can also buy adapters that will allow you to mount pre-EOS Canon lenses to a Canon digital body. A couple of years ago I found a brand new Canon macro lens with the old pre-EOS mount at a yard sale. It was still in the original box with a sticker indicating the lens sold for $329. I got it for $10. I spent $30 for an adapter and gave my daughter the lens and adapter which she has used with good success.

Mugsisme, since your stuff has been packed away for awhile, check your lenses carefully to make sure there is no mold growth on the inside surface of the lens.

Last edited:

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nikon d90. Is still a newer relevant camera. You shouldn't have any trouble getting good money on eBay. What lenses do you have? I have a Nikon and always keep my eyes open for new lenses

Bob

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
D90 is a great camera but has depreciated quite a bit, definitely sell body separately from lenses and accessories. I think there's a way to figure out how many shutter actuations the camera went through. Google this (forgot how it's done) and take a photo of the cameras LCD with shutter count visible. Low shutter count can give you a significant price advantage with digital.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the help. When I said packed away, I meant it is on the shelf, not in the attic or anything like that. Although it is very humid in the house. (My rotary cutters tend to rust unless I vacuum seal them.)

Bob, I'll send you a PM. (later, gotta get some house work done.)

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the help. When I said packed away, I meant it is on the shelf, not in the attic or anything like that. Although it is very humid in the house. (My rotary cutters tend to rust unless I vacuum seal them.)

Bob, I'll send you a PM. (later, gotta get some house work done.)

Leah

Sounds good

jochart

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a d80 and would be interested in any lenses you're selling. please send pm. thanks john

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread