Any coke fans out there?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought this today for 10 bucks. I probably should've kept my money. But I never see stuff like this around here so I bought it. It looks horrible but I thought I would share. the hinges are broken I think it's from the 1960s and it smells like a cigar. If it didn't smell I would take it and set it on top of our cabinets in my kitchen to see my wife's reaction. But I know I'll be dead if the whole house smells like crap tomorrow morning!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436501305.690756.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436501336.657721.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436501370.905059.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436501390.688064.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436501414.538304.jpg

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The bubbles make me sneeze....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buy a bag of Hardwood Lump Charcoal
and put it in it for a month

if that doesn't work paint the inside with Mold Killing Primer.

I wouldn't touch the outside .

cool Find :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, $10 is a steal for that, the outside has a nice patina, definitely don't mess with it. I'll bet you could get an easy $50-100 for it, possibly more. Nice find!

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice buy - good price .
There was only one Friday sale today up here . I bought this sign for $10.00 . It's metal & 6 and a half feet wide .

Attachments

• COKE 002.jpg
    COKE 002.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 109

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the writing on the lid affects people or the value, and it's written with some form of "Magic Marker", you can remove it. Being galvanized, the surface is rough and the black color is hard to get out. Use hair spray to remove it. It's got to the hair spray in the pressurized cans, and I've found the cheaper the brand of hair spray the better it works....

I think it's the propellant as much as the spray formula that does the cleaning. Just spray in on, let it sit, with a clean rag wipe away. As rough as the surface is, it will take many applications. Sometimes, I've used an old toothbrush to get into the rough surface. Other times, to slow the evaporation and let the hair spray do its work, I go in and re-wet the surface and cover it with some of my wife's clear plastic food wrap. Scrub away in a circular motion like removing paste wax from your car and turn your rag to keep a clean absorption surface to get it off and keep it away.

I've used "Oust" spray to remove odors in dresser drawers and old tool boxes. It's an odor eliminator and not one that covers up the smell.

Bill

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for your information and your help. We have family coming out of town for two weeks so I'm sure I will get nothing done. But I will try to clean up some of the dust and try out the charcoal. Also see if we can get that ink mark off! Thank you very much as always you're all are awesome!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for your information and your help. We have family coming out of town for two weeks so I'm sure I will get nothing done. But I will try to clean up some of the dust and try out the charcoal. Also see if we can get that ink mark off! Thank you very much as always you're all are awesome!

:thumbsup:

I just lay the whole bag in the bottom if it fits and slice the bag open on its side

DSCF0001.JPG

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you say that the inscription on the bottom is ink, try using Denatured Alcohol on it. I've used it in the past and its removed permanent marker most of the time.

Awesome find by the way :icon_thumleft:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WD-40 or it's equivalent may remove ink also.
I have never tried it.
But it can be used to Remove Ink Stains From Carpets so :dontknow:

DirtyHowi

Oct 6, 2006
somewhere in the middle of nowhere iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 Thank You Santa :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alcohol works best on ink, since most magic marker type ink is alcohol based, it just turns itself back into liquid ink and can be removed...one and only lesson i remember from my high school chemistry teacher :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread