Interesting German 800 Silver Serving Spoons

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Picked up these spoons over the weekend at an estate sale. The 2 largest ones and the more decorative one are all marked 800 silver. The other 2 were marked as shown with just a makers mark & the circular mark that looked like a city mark to me. They looked like silver but I wasn't comfortable buying them at full price. I knew nobody local would buy them without sterling, 925, or 800 marked on them. In fact, I saw the idiot that is my main competition pick them up & put them down after looking for a mark. I did a little research & found out that prior to 1884 the purity mark WAS the city mark. I'm reasonably certain this particular mark is from Kassel City. Total weight of the 5 spoons is 11.9 0zt troy. Not bad for $45.
054.JPG 055.JPG 056.JPG 058.JPG

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I see they are asking $131 for the one in the link. Any idea if that's realistic? The Proll weighs in at 2.5 ozt & the Reiberg is 1.5.

I say the guy is my main competition. He's really a retired University employee that thinks he knows a lot more than he really does. In terms of knowledge he is a complete idiot. On top of that he's got the ethics & professional courtesy typical of most blow hard know it alls. Unfortunately he also shows up hours before sales start & knows just enough to get the obviously good jewelry/sterling deals. I've got the eye, experience & knowledge to buy the less obvious items but like the low hanging fruit because it really adds to the bottom line.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread