Large Silver Spoon - Lion Passant facing right

maxiebaby0914

Aug 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out garage sailing and stopped in at a antique consignment store and purchased a large silver spoon for $7.00. The price tag on it read - "English Spoon". The back of spoon has a lion passant hallmark, however it's facing right. I did some research and found that the English silver lion passant always face left, except for Gorham. The only right facing lion passant I could find is in Dutch silver. I am not sure if this is Dutch though. There is a capital "H" next to the lion.
I believe the initials of maker's mark is - DMW . (I am not 100% positive on the middle initial M)
The front of spoon is inscribed in fancy cursive writing "Hermine" "August 11, 1871" . I have a few questions regarding the spoon that I hope you can help me with.
1) what country do you think this spoon was made in?
2) is it sterling or coin silver?
3) how old is the spoon? About what year?
4) is this a fiddle shell spoon?

Any other info would be appreciated..thanks
image.jpg image.jpg

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting hallmark. Could it be Dutch?

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pseudo mark would be my guess. Many companies here and in Canada used similar.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Gib. It's probably some type of Pseudo English hallmark. There are entire books dedicated to the subject. This isn't your mark but it is an example of a pseudo mark with a right facing lion- Leopard Antiques Antique Silver

5005_Figure%201.JPG

Last edited:

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find!! It's early American coin silver with a pseudo mark. Probably 1830-1850 ish. Many New York makers used the reverse English lion. Definitely not English.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could possibly be Richard Huntington from Utica NY. The DMW is probably the engravers initials.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread