Advice needed for huge estate

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sorry for your loss. I don't know about any of the other collectables. I do know a little about jewelry. You would be surprised, but vintage jewelry with high end names can go for a pretty penny. I agree with bringing in someone who specializes in this. If I were you, I would not get rid of anything until you know for sure it is better to donate. You would be shocked at the stuff we pick up at the thrift stores! (I know this is the garage sale forum; I started here, so I like the guys here.)
[Edited to add pictures]
2015-07-29 19.38.02.jpg 2015-07-29 19.38.19.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Ahakunut

Jul 8, 2014
Honolulu, Hi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry for your loss. I don't know about any of the other collectables. I do know a little about jewelry. You would be surprised, but vintage jewelry with high end names can go for a pretty penny. I agree with bringing in someone who specializes in this. If I were you, I would not get rid of anything until you know for sure it is better to donate. You would be shocked at the stuff we pick up at the thrift stores! (I know this is the garage sale forum; I started here, so I like the guys here.)
[Edited to add pictures]
View attachment 1193161 View attachment 1193162

I'm going to bring all the jewelry back home with me so I can take my time going through it. Most of the items are from the 1940's-1970's.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Check out your public library for books on vintage and costume jewelry. There are sites, but I found the books most helpful. Some unsigned pieces are also good, so don't think that if there is no name it isn't worth anything.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Massachusetts

How much stuff are talking about? I've known guys, they were clearing out a bicycle collectors estate, to rent a PODS storage container or 2 and pack it full. Give them the address in HI and await for your items to arrive. Then you have plenty of time to go through the items and research, sell, or give away to family.

The first time I went on vacation to Cape Cod with my girlfriend included a stipulation: help clean out a storage unit owned by her still living grandparents. They had some great stuff and we took a day and a half from vacation to distribute the items between family or the auction house. It was hard to not speak up when nobody wanted the Frank Benson drawings but I knew better then to inject myself into a family estate battle. The whole ordeal was somewhat rushed since everybody lived far away, like CA or Michigan.

If you take the most valuable items with you in one giant load, it takes the pressure off of you and the timeline. I would suggest you find the thread about the "giant house stuffed full of cash and antiques" in our Best of Treasurenet thread. it might give you an idea of what you might find and how important you get it cleared out quickly.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lot's of different ways, I just went through this. Unfortunately greed usually sets in somewhere but you say your brother in law so. Who is the executor? How many in the entire family? If there are cousins then get everyone together and let them go through everything and take what they want. I mean, yes you can sell it but giving as much as possible away to family can make like a lot easier. I've had good experiences and bad experiences with estates, 2 of which broke off parts of the family from greed on the womens side. So is it you and your sister? I don't see where a brother in law has any say unless he is co- executor. If he doesn't want to deal with it and neither do you then take a guess at how much time you are going to spend going through everything and throw out a ball park price, then ask yourself - Is it worth it? I mean a couple of 80 yard dumpsters and some helping hands from a church or a group like Teen Challenge and pay them to come in and fill the dumpsters with all of the garbage. These guys are honest and you can donate whatever furniture or what they need to them. Get the garbage out then see what is left.

Antique shops here will come out and bid on everything in the entire house and they usually give around 50% of what they are going to sell it for to you. I did this once and it was really nice. They came out, loaded everything and left. Then I brought in a crew to fill the dumpsters. They usually sell at 50% of max value for a quick turn over so you are splitting the profit with them.

Basically if your brother in law and nobody else wants anything to do with it, then don't let it all be dumped onto you. If they won't help then they need to have no say on where the stuff goes. Sell what you can to a junk dealer and toss the rest. If anyone has a problem with this then they will need to either do their share of work or stay out of it and keep quiet. It can easily be finished and the house sold in a month. This is what we did with my mom's place. The people who bought the house loved the way they had it set up so we were able to even leave the furnishings because they were moving in from living in an RV. Put it on the market furnished and see what happens, ours sold in a day because we wanted it gone and took a few thousand less then appraisal. It was basically stress free. The faster you can get it done, the better. Don't take 2 years, go for 2 weeks.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I would recommend to first remove all of the coins, jewelry and any small apparently valuable items from the home to be sold later once their' values have been researched. If possible, if you know of or someone is recommended that can go through the house, look at all of the items and give you a rough estimate of value before continuing. Next, contact some Auction Houses, Antique/Variety Shops and if you have the time, place some Ads in local newspapers and even National newspapers if possible and request that offers be made on the entire contents minus what you removed beforehand and either accept or decline the highest offer. There are folks that travel all over the United States and elsewhere to purchase the entire contents of Estates. If the contents are sold and once payment is made if cash or clears the Bank if a Certified Bank Check, it is the Buyers responsibility to remove all of the items and you must stipulate a deadline time frame as to when all of the contents have to be out of the house.

Good luck!

Frank

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok... here goes a sort of simple "sorting method"..

First step - Pick smallest room with a door on the room in the house... go through it first and empty it.
Second step - Begin digging... and as you find things of a "unknown" status... take and neatly place in your "safe room".
And when sorted and done... CLOSE DOOR and place sign saying DO NOT ENTER.
Third step - Contact Estate company. 25-30% is what you want to pay them TOPS !
OF WHAT and ONLY of what THEY sell.
Payment of total dollars AFTER estate sale is complete.
Remainder can be sold as "bulk".
If not a lot remains OR is of a "incidentals" nature... and values are of "not worth a lot" nature... then place a "curb alert" on Craigslist and they will flock to it and clear it within an hour.

Items in your "safe room" can be "dealt with" during... before... or after sale.
Lock door on room and closely monitor it while people are in the house.
IF you so choose. Remove to temp storage unit.
Valuable items like Gold and silver items... coins etc. should be removed and placed in secure location IE; Safety deposit or the likes.

OP
OP
A

Ahakunut

Jul 8, 2014
Honolulu, Hi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much stuff are talking about? I've known guys, they were clearing out a bicycle collectors estate, to rent a PODS storage container or 2 and pack it full. Give them the address in HI and await for your items to arrive. Then you have plenty of time to go through the items and research, sell, or give away to family.

The first time I went on vacation to Cape Cod with my girlfriend included a stipulation: help clean out a storage unit owned by her still living grandparents. They had some great stuff and we took a day and a half from vacation to distribute the items between family or the auction house. It was hard to not speak up when nobody wanted the Frank Benson drawings but I knew better then to inject myself into a family estate battle. The whole ordeal was somewhat rushed since everybody lived far away, like CA or Michigan.

If you take the most valuable items with you in one giant load, it takes the pressure off of you and the timeline. I would suggest you find the thread about the "giant house stuffed full of cash and antiques" in our Best of Treasurenet thread. it might give you an idea of what you might find and how important you get it cleared out quickly.

Thank you for all the great advice! Unfortunately I think it would cost more to ship all this to Hawaii than it's worth. It costs a fortune these days just to send a package to the Mainland.
I'm looking forward to reading the thread you recommended!

OP
OP
A

Ahakunut

Jul 8, 2014
Honolulu, Hi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lot's of different ways, I just went through this. Unfortunately greed usually sets in somewhere but you say your brother in law so. Who is the executor? How many in the entire family? If there are cousins then get everyone together and let them go through everything and take what they want. I mean, yes you can sell it but giving as much as possible away to family can make like a lot easier. I've had good experiences and bad experiences with estates, 2 of which broke off parts of the family from greed on the womens side. So is it you and your sister? I don't see where a brother in law has any say unless he is co- executor. If he doesn't want to deal with it and neither do you then take a guess at how much time you are going to spend going through everything and throw out a ball park price, then ask yourself - Is it worth it? I mean a couple of 80 yard dumpsters and some helping hands from a church or a group like Teen Challenge and pay them to come in and fill the dumpsters with all of the garbage. These guys are honest and you can donate whatever furniture or what they need to them. Get the garbage out then see what is left.

Antique shops here will come out and bid on everything in the entire house and they usually give around 50% of what they are going to sell it for to you. I did this once and it was really nice. They came out, loaded everything and left. Then I brought in a crew to fill the dumpsters. They usually sell at 50% of max value for a quick turn over so you are splitting the profit with them.

Basically if your brother in law and nobody else wants anything to do with it, then don't let it all be dumped onto you. If they won't help then they need to have no say on where the stuff goes. Sell what you can to a junk dealer and toss the rest. If anyone has a problem with this then they will need to either do their share of work or stay out of it and keep quiet. It can easily be finished and the house sold in a month. This is what we did with my mom's place. The people who bought the house loved the way they had it set up so we were able to even leave the furnishings because they were moving in from living in an RV. Put it on the market furnished and see what happens, ours sold in a day because we wanted it gone and took a few thousand less then appraisal. It was basically stress free. The faster you can get it done, the better. Don't take 2 years, go for 2 weeks.

I'm sorry, my original whining post probably didn't come across they way it should. The house belongs to my husbands family. My brother in law has lived here his entire life and still does. Since he and my husband were planning on throwing everything in a dumpster I stepped in and volunteered to go thru everything. I found a Waterford lamp in the trash when I first got here if that gives you any idea of what I'm dealing with. At this point I would rather not have them help out, but with the time constraints I will, but I'm going thru the trash every day!
The purpose of having two years before we're required to sell is to give my brother in law time to find a new home. I would be fine with letting him live here the rest of his life, but there's another brother involved that wants the house sold.
We've already given out whatever the other family members wanted, including nieces, nephews, cousins, etc.
These guys are very private people therefore they will not allow a bunch of strangers combing thru the house. I'm actually having a great time so far since it is like treasure hunting, my favorite hobby! I just wish the selling part would be easier.
My strategy is to sort everything during this trip and next summer do the selling part.
Thank you again for all the help!

OP
OP
A

Ahakunut

Jul 8, 2014
Honolulu, Hi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok... here goes a sort of simple "sorting method"..

First step - Pick smallest room with a door on the room in the house... go through it first and empty it.
Second step - Begin digging... and as you find things of a "unknown" status... take and neatly place in your "safe room".
And when sorted and done... CLOSE DOOR and place sign saying DO NOT ENTER.
Third step - Contact Estate company. 25-30% is what you want to pay them TOPS !
OF WHAT and ONLY of what THEY sell.
Payment of total dollars AFTER estate sale is complete.
Remainder can be sold as "bulk".
If not a lot remains OR is of a "incidentals" nature... and values are of "not worth a lot" nature... then place a "curb alert" on Craigslist and they will flock to it and clear it within an hour.

Items in your "safe room" can be "dealt with" during... before... or after sale.
Lock door on room and closely monitor it while people are in the house.
IF you so choose. Remove to temp storage unit.
Valuable items like Gold and silver items... coins etc. should be removed and placed in secure location IE; Safety deposit or the likes.

Ah! Great minds think alike! Last week I cleaned out one of the bedrooms to put all the keepers in. I'm sitting here laughing at the thought of the craigslist curb alert! I can see everything being picked clean like a bunch of vultures. In another time/place I would probably be one of those vultures!
Thank you so much for all the great advice!

OP
OP
A

Ahakunut

Jul 8, 2014
Honolulu, Hi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend to first remove all of the coins, jewelry and any small apparently valuable items from the home to be sold later once their' values have been researched. If possible, if you know of or someone is recommended that can go through the house, look at all of the items and give you a rough estimate of value before continuing. Next, contact some Auction Houses, Antique/Variety Shops and if you have the time, place some Ads in local newspapers and even National newspapers if possible and request that offers be made on the entire contents minus what you removed beforehand and either accept or decline the highest offer. There are folks that travel all over the United States and elsewhere to purchase the entire contents of Estates. If the contents are sold and once payment is made if cash or clears the Bank if a Certified Bank Check, it is the Buyers responsibility to remove all of the items and you must stipulate a deadline time frame as to when all of the contents have to be out of the house.

Good luck!

Frank

Frank, thank you for all the great advice! I'm just blown away by all the kind people here! Hopefully one day I will be able to pay it all forward.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Craigs list free section under the for sale tab is what we used and we ended up setting up a guy who was newly divorced and had lost everything with everything from dishes and silverware to a bed and kitchen table with lots of stuff in between. He was starting from scratch and the free adds paid off for us because he also moved stuff for us that we couldn't budge after we were in our car accident. With a 4 bedroom house we had a bunch of families that were happy to have beds and so on. We always pass it forward if possible and give away what we don't feel we want to take the time to sell. Personally I know where your husband is coming from because a waterford lamp looks the same in the garbage as it does in someone else' s house. It's not your problem anymore, yes maybe paying forward would have been better because you're not taking up dumpster space but out of the house is still out of the house. Men have a different perspective because we think along the lines of time and a lamp can quickly be thrown high into the air and break into a zillion pieces when it hits the dumpster, throwing instead of selling is a lot more fun :evil6:

OP
OP
A

Ahakunut

Jul 8, 2014
Honolulu, Hi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Craigs list free section under the for sale tab is what we used and we ended up setting up a guy who was newly divorced and had lost everything with everything from dishes and silverware to a bed and kitchen table with lots of stuff in between. He was starting from scratch and the free adds paid off for us because he also moved stuff for us that we couldn't budge after we were in our car accident. With a 4 bedroom house we had a bunch of families that were happy to have beds and so on. We always pass it forward if possible and give away what we don't feel we want to take the time to sell. Personally I know where your husband is coming from because a waterford lamp looks the same in the garbage as it does in someone else' s house. It's not your problem anymore, yes maybe paying forward would have been better because you're not taking up dumpster space but out of the house is still out of the house. Men have a different perspective because we think along the lines of time and a lamp can quickly be thrown high into the air and break into a zillion pieces when it hits the dumpster, throwing instead of selling is a lot more fun :evil6:

Boy you hit the nail right on the head with the gender difference in perspective!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Without reading this thread, I'll offer my "two cents".
Choose an Estate Sales Representative.
This site should be helpful: Tips for Choosing an Estate Sale Company
In essence, get a reputable company to appraise, protect, advertise and market the contents of the home.
Here in California, on the sales date, the estate sales representative company will have agents in each room to protect its contents and answer questions. Prices will be on each item (or group of items) and a 'cashier' and very visible security will be meandering the rooms and stationed at the front door. It isn't cheap, but it is professional and can save a lot of inventory (value) going out 'the back door' without paying.
Don.........

OP
OP
A

Ahakunut

Jul 8, 2014
Honolulu, Hi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without reading this thread, I'll offer my "two cents".
Choose an Estate Sales Representative.
This site should be helpful: Tips for Choosing an Estate Sale Company
In essence, get a reputable company to appraise, protect, advertise and market the contents of the home.
Here in California, on the sales date, the estate sales representative company will have agents in each room to protect its contents and answer questions. Prices will be on each item (or group of items) and a 'cashier' and very visible security will be meandering the rooms and stationed at the front door. It isn't cheap, but it is professional and can save a lot of inventory (value) going out 'the back door' without paying.
Don.........

Don, thank you for the the great advice and the link! Unfortunately my husbands family will not go for having strangers in the house. Right now my strategy is to do all the sorting during this trip and next summer work on the selling. That should give me plenty of time to figure out what to do. I've been given some great advice by all of you on this website! Thanks!!

Punatic

Feb 25, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had a blast reading this thread dreaming of all the goodies stashed away! Any chance of some pics to wet the appetite?

Also am I the only one worried that all the most valuable items will be left unattended in a large house for a year?! I say carry whatever you can then maybe a secure storage unit or large safety deposit box?

OP
OP
A

Ahakunut

Jul 8, 2014
Honolulu, Hi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a blast reading this thread dreaming of all the goodies stashed away! Any chance of some pics to wet the appetite?

Also am I the only one worried that all the most valuable items will be left unattended in a large house for a year?! I say carry whatever you can then maybe a secure storage unit or large safety deposit box?

I'm working on the pictures. Right now I'm just sorting and it's very slow going especially with the heat. This old house doesn't have air conditioning.
As for the house being unattended, my brother in law lives here so no worries. Thanks for the concern!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions