1800s Autograph Book WOW!!

ashleyj

Feb 15, 2015
New Brunswick
Primary Interest:
Other
Today I talked someone down on a autograph album from $5 down to $1. I also bought a book of 1800s postcards at the same place. I hadn't really looked at the book till I got home. Then I discovered autographs by Wordsworth, Tennyson, Emerson, Louisa Mary Alscot, Abraham Lincoln, Edgar Allen Poe, and more. Most of the literary geniuses and scholars of the 1800s are in this book. I contacted skinner auctions about it and have no idea what it will be worth. But I am pretty excited!!! Any idea on values for 1800s autograph books???

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
R u sure this is not a printed book. The cover having the names makes me suspect.

OP
OP
A

ashleyj

Feb 15, 2015
New Brunswick
Primary Interest:
Other
Now I feel dumb, it is made with all the extra autographs in it, oh man... I was so excited lol

OP
OP
A

ashleyj

Feb 15, 2015
New Brunswick
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess this is the better find of the day then, a 1800s book of postcards
image.jpg
image.jpg
There is probably about 30 pages of cards.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I feel dumb, it is made with all the extra autographs in it, oh man... I was so excited lol

You are not the first person to make an error like that. My first book I had I thought it was an original first edition, put it on Ebay and caught all kinds of crap telling me it was not a first edition.

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't feel like that! I look back at my art "scores" that turn out to be poster type prints, or reproductions! :-) My friend that is a treasure hunter herself recommended me to buy a loupe! I don't go anywhere without one! :-) You did absolutely great by talking the seller down in price! The best way to protect yourself from "learning opportunities (to some they may be mistakes)", is by not overpaying! My less desireable art I give to a thrift store that gives me great deals on things! Get yourself a loupe, trust me, it will save you time, money, and disappointment! I like the post cards, nice score!

RJA

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not so sure that your postcards are from the 1800s. They may have divided backs, half for the message and a half for the address. That became standard in about 1908.Prior to that the reverse was for address only while a small portion on the front was reserved for a short message. Yours look like linen cards from the teens or twenties. One way is to look at the backs, they may be postmarked if they were mailed. I like old postcards, so I think you did good.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess this is the better find of the day then, a 1800s book of postcards
View attachment 1194213
View attachment 1194214
There is probably about 30 pages of cards.
Yes, better than the autograph book. I don't see any linen's in there, linen's didn't really come out till the 30's. I do see some divided backs, a possible earlier undivided back and what I thought were a couple white border era cards, but at closer look it looks like maybe postcards underneath of other postcards? Am I seeing that right? If you need any help with any particular cards let me know.

OP
OP
A

ashleyj

Feb 15, 2015
New Brunswick
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I decided to make a quick profit and sell the whole bunch of post-cards as a lot to a guy who collects them for $100, they may have been worth more but it is not my specialty, and it was a quick and easy flip. And I don't mind leaving money on the table for other collectors/entrepreneurs to make some as well.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You did great. The autograph book makes an excellent research book to verify signatures in the future and $100 is a decent price on the postcards. Keep hunting...

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score on the postcards. Seems like you did well on the price. Don't blame you for a quick flip and then just move on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread