Just scored this at a garage sale, 1920s-1930s H. Kleiss painting (s).

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out garage sale hunting this morning, and scored these original and signed H. Kleiss paintings! The artist is listed, born in 1901 and died in 1973. I believe that they are a family. His style is Orientalist. beautiful colors and details on each! Thanks!

RJA Kleiss1.jpg Kleiss2.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice find!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for the comments and Lost&Found for the link. I appreciate it!

RJA

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does 'un American' mean? Is that Spanish for one American. I don't understand.
No, it means he's not into Orientalist style paintings, lol. It's a bigoted reply, a flame starter if you will. The painting looks very well executed and I would have bought that one myself if the price was right. Un-American or not.

OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, it means he's not into Orientalist style paintings, lol. It's a bigoted reply, a flame starter if you will. The painting looks very well executed and I would have bought that one myself if the price was right. Un-American or not.

When I got there (I was the early bird and the very first thing he says is let me know what you like, and I'll let you know if it's for sale or not) and started looking at his art, I inquired about a few pieces, but he told me that they were not for sale. I picked up a nice looking vase, and he said that it was not for sale. I picked up another art piece and he said that that one was also not for sale. I'm thinking, why don't you just close the garage and go back to sleep if nothing is for sale! :-) So I'm there digging around and I ask about the above Kleiss. He tells me that it's for sale but for $20. I put it back playing the uninterested one, continue digging some more, and In my way out I say, I can give you $10 cash for that artwork. He thinks about for a minute and accepts! :-) Frankly, this is the best and most valuable piece that he had, but he decided not to keep it. I guess he really didn't like it.

P.S. Thanks again to all. I appreciate it.

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The second from left picture depicts a Berber woman from Morocco, circa 1940-1950. Hans Kleiss was an Orientalist painter, illustrator, and caricaturist. He was the husband of Orientalist painter Yvonne Kleiss-Herzig. They both lived for long periods in North Africa (Algeria and Morocco). They settled together in Sidi Slimane (Morocco) in the early fifties before returning to France.
Perhaps each of the images are of Moroccan origin.
Don....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread