Another watch - Gruen Veri-thin Pocketwatch

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I typically stay away from watches. Clocks I will buy if they look nice, are old, and dirt cheap.

This one looked good and I was pretty sure it was gold filled. When I saw it worked, I put it in my pile.

Its a pentagon shaped Gruen VERI-THIN which at the time I bought it meant nothing to me. Here's one on ebay that sold recently for $130. Scarce Vintage Gruen Veri Thin Pentagonal Pocket Watch Triple Signed Runs | eBay

Mine seems like it is in much better condition, but the one that sold shows it's back removed.

@Gollum....thanks for the link to the cheap watch tools on the other post. I think I am going to buy them.

Wondering if selling without showing the back will impact price. What do you all think?

IMG_3701.JPG IMG_3708.JPG

I also bought these 2 spoons from the same sale. They are marked 800 and weigh 170g combined. Lady seemed curious why I wanted the spoons and kept looking at the 800.
IMG_3657.JPG

Got all this and a bunch of other things for $11. I've been on a roll lately.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting.

Last edited:

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there should be a lip on the top to pop it open. I use a small screwdriver for working on glasses. Seems to work pretty well. I'm sure it will sell without the picture of the inside. Just some collectors like to see that stuff. The serial number tells the date of the watch.

http://www.pocketwatchdatabase.com/

I like it. Very cool find. I want to start collecting them but don't really need to start collecting anything at the moment! Just my hoarder Mentality!

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks beachkid....will see if i can open it. Curious about date.

On collecting topic, my update to an old post of mine is on topic. Sell it all, except the good stuff. :)

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the watch. Very cool design and a bargain.

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone,

So, I had my other pocket watch services by a Pocket Watch Repair-Professional Repair Services for Vintage or Antique Pocket Watches at a very reasonable price and I thinking about getting this one serviced.

I found this same watch on ebay and it sold for $130. However, I found this watch here also. On that site they are selling it for $2,250. I know this price is crazy high.

Curious what you all think about getting it serviced. Should cost about $100.

bill

IMG_20160408_210517.jpg IMG_20160408_210538.jpg IMG_20160408_210607.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good score and a real beauty. I'm still on the hunt for a undiscovered Gruen Pentagon 50th anniversary movement pocketwatch out there somewhere.

Attachments

• 6543A.jpg
    6543A.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 98

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I don't don't spend the money to have a mechanical watch serviced if I have it for resale. I have in the past, but found it doesn't take the value and profit margin up all that more and in a couple cases I made very little flipping a repaired watch, so I just went back to "sold as-is". I will however have it done if I plan on keeping it.

Last edited:

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I don't don't spend the money to have a mechanical watch serviced if I have it for resale. I have in the past, but found it doesn't take the value and profit margin up all that more and in a couple cases I made very little flipping a repaired watch, so I just went back to "sold as-is". I will however have it done if I plan on keeping it.
I know right? Servicing watches is such a pain these days... I had a 1942 Longines serviced for $200 and it takes like 2 months. But if you ever want to wear and use them it needs to be done. Plus you only need to do it every 7+ years

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread