The captains take for the weekend!!

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The captain's take for the weekend!!

Here's a shot of my treasure finds for this past weekend...................................... That's right! Nothing! Nada, zero, zip, big goose egg!! Not a great yard sale weekend and I had silver in my hands!! So my wife and daughter and I stop at a y/s locally. I spot a box and begin to explore what's inside. The woman says to me, " oh I think I want to bring that box back inside"! Keep in mind it's about 10:30 am or so. Then she says " you can look but I'll be right back". I see a beautiful pair of sterling candle sticks and a small sterling fruit/compote bowl. She comes back out, waits for me to finish and I ask her how much for these three items. She says, " I'm going to have to bring that back in and go through it". Bam!!! The captain was shot down!! Arghhh!!! She said all of this while giving her son (I assume), in his twenties a look like " why is this out here"! I don't think she had a clue it was sterling. So I proceed to return to the truck licking my wounds!! My wife and daughter both said that was really weird!! Ya win some, ya loose some!! ............................... Arghh!!!

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago. I collect records and there were 2 sales that specifically listed records. I went to the first one and didn't see any records, so I asked about them. The response I got was "I didn't put them out because I didn't have time to look up their values, so I'm not selling them now."
I went on to the second sale and the lady there said that I was the first one to ask about them (it was day 2 of the sale). I looked through them and picked out a box of 45s. I really only wanted a few of them, but they had string running through the centers and they were all tied together. Most were junk - beat or cracked. She asked how much I'd offer and I offered $5. She got mad, glared at me and said "Do you think I'm stupid, I know these are worth a lot of money!" I told her she could keep them and that I really only wanted a few. She cut the string and let me buy the few that I wanted and it still only cost $5, plus I don't have a pile to throw away.

Scott

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So frustrating yet we continue the quest! We could all write a book with all of the odd people we meet and the various stories tied to those encounters!! All part of the " thrill of the hunt!! ". I was at a y/s about 5 - 6 years ago where I spotted several velvet bags, each stuffed full of sterling flatware. I asked the older gentleman how much for the whole lot and he says "let me check with my wife". She comes over and says that those weren't supposed to be out! There were pounds of sterling! POUNDS!! Ugh!!!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC's Yard sale rules...

1... If I approach a sale and see printed paper on items... I walk.
2... If the seller says "blah blah EBAY"... I walk... If I even hear the word "ebay" I walk.
3... If seller is unsure of a price or beats around the bush too long... I walk.
4... If seller has prices on things that are near or just below used retail... I walk.
5... If seller says "We are not ready... no early birds.."... I walk.
6... If seller begins allows "others" in before and then lets others wait... I walk.
And now for #7...

7... If seller takes something from my hand that has been out at the sale for more than an hour and says... "oh I need to go back through that"...
I RUN.

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arghh!! The code of the Yard Sale Brethren!! Stick to the code!! [emoji88][emoji88] Happy hunting this weekend! At some point this year I'll pull out my metal detector and give that a go.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite is when the sale is listed as a "packed hoarder" sale and nothing has been gone through. You spend hours of digging only to have your best finds pulled and told "that's not for sale". More then once i've had fantastic items snatched from my hands because the people selling were too lazy to do any research and waited for the customers (us) to do the work for them. I had one lady nearly take my entire pile at the checkout! If you have shopped with me i'm quite the eccentric buyer so i guess she was trying to make sense of what i was buying and figured i had something really good hid among the "junk".

I ended up dumping out my whole pile on the table and walked out.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and one more rule... in fact we can substitute one of the above...

If they say... Oh we sold those yesterday... I WALK.

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That'll be Tuesday for me, depending on what/where Erika does her duty.

hopefully that goes for me too but my waterproof Metal detector to take a dump so I have to use my whites inland one

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread